New Snapmaker Original... will not communicate

You were able to calibrate, jog, and change the filament, so the touch screen is working.

You mentioned that you’re using a Mac. I’ve heard of some issues with the USB stick if you don’t eject it properly. For some reason, my KINGSTON doesn’t show up on the Desktop anymore, and I have to eject via Disk Utility. Ejecting does take longer than I expect. If you pulled it out without ejecting properly, you might need to reformat to correct the corruption (or try inserting the USB in a windows computer – they’re better at detecting and repairing FAT errors). You could also try using a different USB drive.

Regarding software, Luban has replaced SnapmakerJS. You can still download SnapmakerJS if you want, but I would only use it for testing and educational purposes at this point. Luban should be very similar.

I have not tried to connect my v1 hardware to my mac via the USB cable, so I can’t help much with /dev/tty*. From what I’ve heard, you’re better off doing the CNC and Laser via the USB drive, due to slight communication delays causing slight timing issues. But if your USB drive isn’t working, that’s not really an option.

My filament change button is very stiff. Stiff enough that the first time I loaded it, I only depressed the button half way, and couldn’t load filament. But that doesn’t sound like your problem, since you were able to change the filament. I would be careful about tugging the filament out. You shouldn’t strip any gears, but if you do, the print head won’t be able to feed filament properly anymore.