New F-linear modules

Hi folks,

can anyone point me to more information on the new F linear modules? All I find is silent stepper drivers and “faster”. And it seems that the axis have now different modules instead of all being the same. What I’d like to know:

• What does faster mean? Can I print at higher speeds? The shop page suggests somthing fuzzy between 50-100% faster…
  • Apart from the silent drivers: Wat has changed internally? Did they make it “All metal” now also on the inside?
  • Power: I seem to remember an argument by Snapmaker that they picked the louder drivers to provide more power for CNC milling. Do the silent drivers deliver the same amount of power? Do I get limits for milling with the new modules?
  • “Do not mix”: The shop page says “do not mix old and new” - does that mean you should not mix an old and a new module on the same axis (i.e. always replace BOTH modules of Y or Z), or should you always replace the whole set of 5 modules?
  • Different modules for different axis? It seems that now X/Y/Z have different modules. What is the rationale behind it, how do they differ?

With the 50% off I feel tempted to buy - the pricing at 50% is acceptable! Thanks for that!

Glad for any info!

Hauke

Looks like there are different lead screws inside with 8mm stroke for Z and 20mm stroke for X and Y.

Oh, you’re right - X/Y now with 20mm lead screws… And TMC stepper drivers have more microsteppings, so resolution might stay about the same… Stupid remark - did not understand at first that its diameter. So if steepnes stays the same, I suppose it’s only getting better :slight_smile:

50% off + 10% extra for Kickstarter backers … I am tempted too :sweat_smile:

Oh, where did you read that? Indeed even more tempting!

darn no +5% off for early orderers :slight_smile:

Hi,

Where did you see the extra 10%

It was announced in the presentation yesterday. 10% discount for backers, no expiration date, stackable (!).

At 1:41:20

1 Like

Wow, that’s cool and a nice gesture to their core/funding community!

750 dollars is a lot of money. they are shown on the web site already and can be ordered without discounts.

i am on the fence about it still. no expiration on both offers?

I’ve been talking with Snapmaker, and they are saying that there isn’t any special discount for backers. They said that the 10% discount is only for those who purchased both the Snapmaker Original and a Snapmaker 2.0 at the same time.

heh, tell me about it. For what the A350 costs, I got a fully-tooled '55 Bridgeport a couple years back. Most of what the A350 produces gets chucked straight in the garbage bin - at least when the bridgie produces scrap, I can reuse it for other parts :wink:

I haven’t seen anything about the new modules that makes me want to upgrade. Quieter would be nice, but I can get that with more soundproofing panels. The new 3D print head is the one that shipped with my A350, so nothing new there. Maybe this is why SM never sent me a coupon for the discount

@edf theyre also 50% faster

Yeah, I saw that. Doesn’t really help me; I have to slow most of my prints way down as it is, and I’ve stopped switching the SM to laser or CNC mode because it just takes too much time.

i run on the slow side when i print. maybe the speed increase means with quality, maybe it doesnt. haha.

@MooseJuice I run the slow side too, but it would be nice to have the Snapmaker print as fast as my others though, especially since the A350 is larger.

i mean i can print faster than i do now but that doesnt come out good. are they going to come out better because of something different about the modules or are they just technically faster i guess is the question.

I’ve been using Spidermaker Matte as my go-to filament for awhile now (partly, I admit, because the A350 is dialed in for it and I’m a bit wary of screwing that up after all the time it took to get there), and it likes slow print speeds, on the order of 12-25 mm/sec. I can print it at 125 but it leaves a rough finish with very visible layers. I don’t think a faster module would fix that, no matter how they optimized it; seems to need some time to melt into the previous layer.

@edf i have a lot of printers, if what you said were true it would be the same for those too but it’s not. All of my printers are direct drive extruders as well.

Do you use the quick release model for the SM2 from Thingiverse? Makes changing the head wayyyy quicker - though all the screws for the beds are still a pain in the rear but at least they are easier to get at.