Need a new print nozzle

I tried to make something using the hatchbox wood filament. Unfortunately the nozzle clogged about halfway through my print. Is there a larger-diameter nozzle I can use on the snapmaker original? I still have the extra nozzle that came in the box but I was wondering if there is a US source to get some more.

I’ve seen posts where people have replaced the nozzle with ones they bought from Amazon.
Ruby Nozzle
Hardened Nozzles
MK10 Nozzle
A finer nozzle

Those threads have some good links and tips.

You can also increase the temperature on the print, to help liquefy the media a bit. I used the stock .4 nozzle, and never had a jam… but jams are a distinct possibility when using media with inclusions (such as wood pulp).

Hatchbox claims that you do not need to have a hardened nozzle for their wood-impregnated media, though a .5 nozzle will help prevent clogging. Just make sure you get the right nozzle, people have said that snapmaker uses an E3 nozzle… that is incorrect. I believe the snapmaker uses an mk8 nozzle (going my memory here, you might want to double-check that).

If you use a larger nozzle, you also have to use Cura to slice as SM Luban or JS doesn’t currently support a nozzle size change.

1 Like

Not sure what that means but I’ll look it up. I orderered an assortment of MK8 nozzles. I will also try upping the temperature some before I swap nozzle sizes. I’ll give that a go this evening as the new nozzles won’t be here till tomorrow. Thanks for all the info guys.

As a note, retractions increase the change of you having a clog. I ended up getting a hatchbox wood print without clogs by setting retraction to 0. Now this did mean that I had a lot more (and larger) ‘nerds’ on the surface due to the oozing, but I had very little stringing issues and no cloigs. Plus the “nerds” were able to be knocked off with a bit of rubbing/scraping and then we took sandpaper lightly to the surface.

So the take away is

  1. Use a large nozzle (.5 or .6) because of added material in the filament.
  2. Increase the temperature about 10 degree to keep the material liquified.
  3. Learn how to use Cura and find out what Luban is to use a larger nozzle.
  4. Decrease retraction. Not sure why. What’s the reasoning behind it? The part has some deep knurling so I’m concerned that blobs of material may be more problematic than on a smooth surface.

I turned it off because it meant that pressure was maintained in the nozzle. When the machine retracts, the particles can settle and have a higher risk of clogging. By doing this I managed to get a good print with a .4 nozzle. My retraction setting prior to trying that were at 2mm. I’ll likely try again with a 1mm retraction to see if that lets me get a good print with less tiny blobs.

I will say that the tiny blobs were more again to bits of extruded material. Thus why they were super easy to knock off the finished piece. The print I did this on was the Druid mug from Mythic Mugs.