Missing a toolpath method - Recommendation please

Hi all,

I got the Artisan a week back now.

I properly did many 3D prints and a few laser work.

But now on the CNC side, I’m having issue with the software.

One of the reason I bought this machine, was to cut and drill holes in boxes for electronics controllers.

I thought it would be super easy to do, to have 2 tool paths, 1 for the contour (inside of the connector) and 1 drill path for the 2 holes.

But to my astonishment and disappointment, Luban does not support contour or drill paths.

Reading some comments here, I see some people recommended other CAD’s.

I have tried Carbide Create, and it seems simple to do those 2 paths types, but I need to buy a pro version to export g-codes.

Others seems to recommend Fusion-360, but the learning curve seems long.

Do you have a solution or recommendation for this?

Here’s what I need to do:

Cut the hole (red part) and drill two holes (orange)

Thanks for any advice.

Simon

Here you go,

1 Like

Would second @xchrisd - unless Luban will at some point have an evolution leap, you will quickly reach the limits of this simple software. Going for a more capable CAM solution will always include a learning curve. I love and hate Fusion 360 - it is very capable, but to me is unbelievably unintuitive to use, but I’ve not found anything better yet… Would be my recommendation also (with gritted teeth :slight_smile: ).

Since we’re somewhat on the topic of CAD/CAM-software-for-newbs, anyone have any thoughts on the toolpaths generated by FreeCAD?

And is Fusion recommended over MeshCAM purely because of the price?

I ask because, for me, these cloud-based software versions (OnShape, Fusion, Solidworks) are a no-go. As they are for anyone who is limited to satellite internet: the latency is bad enough, but the bandwidth caps were set back in 2006 and never increased to accomodate the modern internet.

So in that context, MeshCAM is a whole lot cheaper than standalone versions of Fusion or Solidworks (OnShape doesn’t even offer one).

FreeCAD ist admittedly something I yet have to try - my first dabblings left me frustrated, but thats a few years back, I guess the program will have eveolved. Fusion360 is free for personal use. How much it needs in terms of bandwith I do not know, but my understanding is that the software runs locally and only needs the cloud for login, license check and storage.

I know what you mean about FreeCAD - even two years ago, I dismissed it as being pretty immature. Revisiting it this year, I am pretty impressed.

That is good to know about Fusion - I created an account and will try to find a way to cron a download for the off-peak hours.

EDIT: Fusion is definitely a no-go. Sucked up 10GB of bandwidth doing the install and firing it up a couple of times to see how it works offline (seems to work OK, once loaded). The on-disk size appears to be only a few hundred megs, so to be using that much bandwidth it must be downloading the app from the server each time. Anyways that’s 20% of my monthly bandwith gone :frowning:

Thanks for the information, guys! I looked at the demo Fusion 360, seems OK to me, but like was said, quite a complex software to operate!

I have a friend, who is using the free desktop version Vectric Vcarve Desktop. It seems quite easy to use to build 2D shapes, tool paths for CNC. I would probably not use it much to design 3D models.

CORRECTION: The export to CNC, only works with their test models, so not free!

For the 3D models, I became quite efficient with the free Tinkercad and build close to a hundred models that I printed on my old Anet A8.

I know it would be better for me to learn something more complete like Fusion 360, but I have too many projects and limited time to add a big learning curve.

I will give a go to Vectric and maybe later to Fusion 360.

I tested Vectric with a test model and used Artisan to cut a 6 mm plywood. Works fine!

Vcarve Desktop is quite easy to use, I imported an SVG file I created with Tinkercad, did my two toolpath and saved it on the USB key.

The output is quite good.

I will now try to find the right carving bit and parameters for plastic carving for my electronic boxes.

Is that the model you’re actually bringing into Luban?
If so that’s probably not helping. CNC is subtractive. You need a model of how you want the finished piece to be. The cam software will figure out the proper toolpaths according to your bit sizes.

-S

1 Like

Actually, I’m using a SVG export of that drawing from TinkerCad.

So the lines are the outline of where I want the CNC to cut.

In Victric is was quite simple to cut inside the lines. In Luban, the only options are on the line or outside.

I know I could have calculated in the CAD the dimension of the lines (rectangle) minus the tool diameter, but I don’t see this as making any sense.

I tool to prepare the Gcode, should have those options. Like Victric and I’m trying now Fusion 360.

Here’s a screenshot of Vcarve Desktop, options for a 2D profile

It’s quite easy and complete compared to Luban

For luban you want to export an stl from tinkercad of what you want the finished piece to look like.
So take your elements you have and just make them holes in a large rectangle.
Then Luban will account for tool size automatically.

-S

Thanks for the response.

I tried the STL route from TinkerCad. I tied both a full rectangle and a hole rectangle.

In Luban, importing those STL, I only get the carve option on the toolpath and the simulation does not make sense.

Tried both, filled and holes

This is the toolpath setting (tried both tool limiting)

That’s not what I meant.
You need to create a rectangle the size of your workpiece (material) and then use the hole function on the shapes that you have

and then combine to cut out the appropriate holes.

The stl you export should look like the piece you want to create. (Or at least a section of what you want to mill)

-S

1 Like

Thanks again for taking the time to solve this… here’s the view of Tinkercad

I exported the bottom piece as STL and imported in Luban

Here’s the view in Luban

I then choose the part and process to create a toolpath
I will show the simulation for the 3 methods

On the path:

Outline:

Fill:

Not one of the method is what I need.

I did that in Vcarve Desktop with path. The inside hole was a pocket, with the tool cutting inside the line. The 2 holes for screws, where in simple drill tool path. It worked perfectly on Artisan in a wood test.

With Luban, nothing resemble this and with this method, it cut on the outside of the STL, I have no control on what it does.

If you have any other ideas for me to try, please do.

Thanks!

Simon

What version of Luban are you using?
It should be giving you a carving pass when you have an stl selected.

But it really doesn’t matter. Luban is a really terrible CAM program so even if you figure out how get it working at its best, its still going to be awful. The toolpaths are terrible and only do parallel. The previews are awful too.

-S

It’s been 1 year since I tried again my CNC! 1 year later, Luban is still unable to do more. Sad.

I will have to learn Fusion 360 or something else to get the most out of my CNC.

There has been more than one request for this recently. It can’t be that difficult to include in Luban.