Making parts; creating original files

I set up my snapmaker. I can print vases until the cows come home. I want to make my own items. Not interested in downloading pre-written programs. I have used a cnc milling machine in the past and have modified the g codes in the program to accomplish the task at hand. That was many years ago and I would need to refresh my memory. I can do that. But if I am to understand the capabilities of this machine and the Luban software I believe it is possible to draw the object in a cad or drawing program and upload that to Luban for it to scan and generate g codes. Is that correct?

Hi mate,

You will need to use a CAD program to prepare a model to print or CNC, Luban can process the toolpath for you or Fusion 360 can post process gcode

Pugs

Thank you for your answer. I guess I need more specific details than that as I am new to 3d printing. I have this CadStd drawing program I downloaded from cnet years ago. It’s quite simple but serves me in my wood and metal working design. What do you mean I need to prepare a model? Do you mean a 3d drawing? I do not have that capability. I can do a standard orthographic projection or an oblique drawing. I am old school when it comes to drafting. Can I get specific detailed step by specific detailed step instructions anywhere?

I hear you old friend.

Unfortunately you will likely have a steep learning curve ahead.

If you can sketch a .DXF file at least you will get there

Tinkercad is free and pretty easy to learn. Great for making 3d models.
You’ll then need to use another program like Luban or Fusion 360 (free version available) for the CAM part to create the toolpaths.

Here’s a good little tutorial that can help get started:

-S

I am researching and downloading Fusion 360. From what I gather it should do what I need. I hope. CadStd can export in .dxf format. I’ll have to try that too.

Fusion is super powerful and capable. Just has a bit of a learning curve.

A couple threads might help you getting started:

-S

Do you mean a 3d drawing? I do not have that capability. I can do a standard orthographic projection or an oblique drawing. I am old school when it comes to drafting.

If you know how to draft a proper diagram, particularly the more advanced models with more than front, top, right views, you’ll be fine. It’s the exact same work, just on a 3D model where you rotate the part around instead of draw different faces.

I like to sketch and label a draft of my models first, then reference it while building the models. Nothing fancy. I don’t get out the drafting board and T square, just some graph paper.

If your part is simple enough, you might even be able to just make 3 sketches on the 3 planes, extrude to infinity, and intersect to make it a model.