Luban Is Garbage...WTH?

Seriously, I write software for a living and Luban is just garbage. When I first got my SM2.0 everything basically worked.

Now after upgrading to the latest version and updating the SM firmware, all hell has broken lose and I have no idea why the developers do what they do.

1. My printer and PC are 150’ apart. Why the hell do I need to “Confirm” a connection? Repeatedly. Seriously guys put a damn option in there to remember my PC. Jeez.

2. It used to be when I would send a model to the printer, I could monitor it’s progress on the screen, even make fine adjustments to temp, Z level, work speed, bed temp…etc. Not now. I just get the splash page with a “Disconnect” button. Can’t do anything else.

Of course when I disconnect, the print stops. Then I have to load a file, start again, oh wait…Luban decides to connect again and blocks me on the screen again.

1. I won’t even go into how jenky the Luban UI is. “Workspace” tab? Why? Seriously why do you need a new tab?

When you generate the GCode, it should be in memory and just freaking print it. Why do I need to send it someplace else?

Someone please tell me there is a better alternative that will connect to the SM2.0 over WiFi and I can ditch this half-baked software.

3 Likes

3D: Cura
Laser: Lightburn
CNC: Fusion 360.

-S

1 Like

@sdj544 has already covered replacement slicers/CAM.

You can hook a Pi or similar running Octoprint up to the USB-mini-B port. That bypasses the handset software and its questionable connection decisions.

You can also dig into the github repositories and try to rearrange the software to your liking, provided you have the time and the skills. Maybe starting with an old firmware and cherry-picking changesets would get you something better-behaved, I don’t know.

I don’t think the people at Snapmaker really thought through the use cases for a wifi-enabled device—they only considered the “too lazy to dig out a USB drive” case, not the “actually want to operate it offsite” case.

1 Like

Not all statements are correct:

The disconnect button on the handconsole disconnects only your computer. You can then still do several corrections such as table and nozzle temperatures, z-value and speed by swiping the start screen.

Since the last updates the confirm request shows up in Luban again. However if you wait for a few seconds this disappears without further action. Strange this was removed several updates ago.

I second the octopi solution. Add a camera and you can sit at your computer and keep an eye on print jobs. I’ve got a Prusa Mini upstairs and the Snapmaker in the basement, each on a RPi and they are really stable. Probably the best value for money in 3D printing add-ons that I’ve purchased.

2 Likes

I ask me to, why I must confirm the Wifi Connection?
With one printer, it will work and Luban remember the connection, but I own 2 Snapmakers and when I change them, every time he ask.

A 2nd point is, if I disconnect, on Snapmaker I got a message the the connection is lost and if I wish to stop the work. Why that message? A question is better, if I wish to continue or stop it.

2 Likes

Fully agree. As in the dating world, something can look great but be completely ruined by the software.

Just out of couriosity: I personally use Luban only minimally, basically only to transfer files generated in 3rd party software to the Snapmaker. I let the job run on the touchscreen controller, mainly because it means that I can switch off my computer, and also because I think computers crash once in a while, and I do not want a job lost due to that. What is the rationale to run the Job through Luban?

That said, I have no problems with the Snapmaker remembering my computer. I never have to authenticate the session anymore after first confirmation two years ago (or so). Only remark: I use wired network (cf. Works: USB to Ethernet adapter).