Luban - CNC - Should help user pick tools

When I create a layer for CNC, it would be nice if Luban asked what detail I am shooting for, or better yet figured it out from the LOD of the drawings, and suggested the best tool(s) for the job. I am fine inputting the bits I have on hand so the software knows and it would be OK for it to tell me I need to buy bits to reach the level of detail I desire.

If a layer could use different tools – one tool to remove large areas and another to do fine detailing - then I’d like the software to help me set that up.

1 Like

Give Fusion 360 a crack, it’s a lot more usable than Luban

Pugs

Sigh…I wanted to stay away from that. I like OnShape for the CAD side of things - It’s free and has a better user experience.

Also, for many CNC projects I use 2D drawings and set the tool different parts. I’d still like to do that, but just have Luban be smarter about what tool is needed.

Doesn’t look like OnShape has a Marlin post processor, not shure what other CAM applications are around

Pug

I’ve been using vCarve Desktop for this kind of stuff and it’s pretty useful with the preview options that really show you the results of a roughing path with a big bit, followed by the detailed run. It’s relatively expensive, but I’ve personally found it to be the software that meshes best with my mental model of what’s going on. There’s a post processor for the Snapmaker that’s been working fine for me, but I don’t have the link handy.

The toughest part of multiple runs with the Snapmaker is getting the Z axis perfect when changing bits since the bits may of different lengths or not pushed in to identical depths. Try and set the origin to outside the working area so that you can calibrate the Z-height on an untouched part of the design (a corner rather than the center).

If you’re doing relief work, sometimes it’s just easier to pick a fine bit straight away.

This was done with a 0.25mm bit in a single pass on olive wood and turned out OK.

1 Like

@kalmdown I’m modeling in Onshape also. I really like the interface, and that I don’t have to have a super computer to do CAD work. But I have only explored things for 3D printing, not CNC or Laser.

1 Like

I hadn’t thought about the different bit depths. Thanks for the tip on setting a new Z origin per bit.

I think that is solvable in the future with sensors on the head - either a small camera that can see the bit/printer/laser tip or pressure sensors that can sense light impact.

Most cnc machines use a simple sensor that’s a metal piece of a known height. You either clip a lead to the bit or it’s already connected internally. When the bit touches the sensor it closes the electrical circuit. It would be a fairly simple thing to design. I’m surprised that SM hasn’t designed and offered one.
If you have an ohmmeter (one that beeps with a continuity tester is best) you can easily create an equivalent with a metal block and some alligator clips.
Otherwise it’s not really difficult to use the SM card or feeler gauges to set your z.
-S

I made a simple one based around a cheap touch pad on amazon with a 3D printed enclosure

I usually use a piece of copper tape on the workpiece and said beeping ohm meter. Then I don’t really have to think about the offset of the metal part because it’s so thin.
Same if you want to offset from the side for x/y origin

And as long as it’s consistent (and especially if you’re always milling away the top surface) it doesn’t matter.

-S