Loading filament problems

look closely to make sure you have the correct size and type of bit…

if all else fails, small screw extractors should back them out…

in a pinch, if the internal surfaces are too buggered up to use again, use a hacksaw and cut a slot for a flat screw driver…

(and don’t be a gorilla in putting them back in…)

william…

I doubt it voided the warranty especially since this is the first run. There has been more than a few occasions that the snapmaker team has asked someone to pop open their modules to fix issues. It’ll be fine. I have had issues initially getting the filament loaded from time to time. I try to straighten the filament out as much as I can. It is still a game of luck.

Yes, it’s always a game of luck…
I got better results using the Simplify3D machine Interface to manually extrrude (about 10-20 mm @ 1 mm/s).
With the running Feeder it’s much more easy to get the Filament into the Extruder.

@william.o.yates
The problem with the screw heads doesn’t come from a wrong bit but from the bad Quality of the screws.
They are too soft! I allready exchanged some of them (only on external parts of the Printer).
Since they used screws with lower heads (than common DIN912/ISO4762) I have to buy them online.

1 Like

I was able to load filament fine a handful of times, but the filament broke off while printing the last run and I’ve now spent almost an hour trying and trying to re-load it with no luck. Any advise in this case?

1 Like

Hi @zeveck. Do not try to push it out using the new filament. They will never line up in the print module. Make sure you extract the filament that broke out of the module first then try to insert the new filament.

This is a point for optimization. I did it before with PLA with some problems. But feeding TPU (flexible) is a nightmare. I didn’t get until now :frowning:

Any suggestions on how best to extract the prior module? I can’t see anything looking down from the top, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a piece in there… but I don’t see how to be sure without taking the side and fan off…

You have to open the print module from the side and remove the fan to begin to diagnose and take the next step. Note the silver filament between the roller and drive gear.

I guess my nozzle is clocked. I wanted to change the nozzle. I couldn’t open the screws. Before they will be stripped :sweat: I’m wondering wether the heatsink could be taken off.

Sorry! Can’t upload Extruder-open-nozzle-clocked.jpg

But for what should this be good!? I can’t remove my nozzle…

That’s right! I fear to strip them.

I solved my problem!

First I removed the fan and saw that the old filament reached a little bit above the extruding gear and was out of the track between these gears. So the new filament could never touch the tip of the old one but went into strange directions. I made a real fine hook out of a thin wire and pushed the old filament back into the track. Afterwards I used Pronterface http://www.pronterface.com/ to extrude the old filament to its very end. Afterwards I pushed in the new filament as described in https://manual.snapmaker.com/3d_printing/change_filament.html.

Conclusion

1. Loading problems are caused by the feeding mechanism. It’s a source of trouble that the tips of the filaments has to get in touch.

2. Because of that mechanism you can’t use flexible filament.

3. Extrude your filament completely before insert a new one!

Hopefully I never have to change the nozzle, it can’t be done without striping the screws :frowning:

Have luck and fun! :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you got it fixed. :grin:

The quality of the fasteners used in the print head are disappointing to say the least. :pensive::unamused:

1 Like

That’s absolutely right. Also the quality of the M4 x 8 screws and the longer ones for attaching the modules are weak. They are too soft I will replace them.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on not being able to use flexible filament. I have a spool of TPU that I was going to use on Snapmaker but you just save me a lot of heart ache.

I also have one spool TPU over…

But I will follow that point with TPU. Seems to get rough or maybe not possible.

The first picture in the following link shows the extruder problem very well.

Loading Flexible Filament to Extruder

1 Like

Soo, opened it up and confirmed there’s a piece of the old filament in there…

Best way to extract it? I can grab it with tweezers but it’s too big to just pull out.

1 Like

Just try to bring the upper part of the filament back into the groove between the gears. I did it with a small, strong metal hook. Then extrude it completely by direct control from a connected computer. This will give you control over extruding.

Try Cura or Sli3r. I did it with Pronterface. (I can’t speak about Snapmaker3D).

Completely means, that the gears can’t extrude/transport any filament anymore. A few mm of filament will remain. Straighten your new filament as good as possible, insert your new filament and start loading it as it’s described in the manual.

Good news is I got the filament out by snipping it with very small scissors, turning it upside down and tapping lightly until they fell out. Bad news is the next print also broke the filament, so I guess the PLA from MakerGeeks is suspect, or else I need better humidity control, or else the Snapmaker doesn’t like 1kg rolls. Any which way, this time the piece remaining is tiny and I can’t get at it at all. It’s that bit of purple you see in the photo…

There’s barely enough sticking out to grab, but the angle makes it hard for anything to reach it in the first place. Recommendations?

1 Like

The Snapmaker came with extra print heads… but where are instructions on how to swap them out?

I agree that MakerGeeks filament most likely your issue. I ordered several spools from them last year for my Taz 6 and had nothing but headaches with all of it. They have very poor quality control.

You might give this a try too.

Why didn’t you dismount the passive cooler for easier access.
Are you sure that the purple filament piece isn’t stuck in the feeding tube of the nozzle (can’t see in the pictures).