Is there a way to skip the auto-focus and keep the same origin for when you are laser engraving the same material?

Is there a way to skip the auto-focus for when you are laser engraving the same thickness of material? Also, is there any way to keep the same work origin in between jobs? This would enable using a positioning jig to make more than one of the same thing without going through the auto-focus and re-doing the work origin every time.

An example use case is this Christmas season when I was engraving gift tags for my presents. Each was a uniformly sized piece of engravable metal. I would change the wording, send it via wi-fi, and engrave. During engraving, I would prepare the next one, then send it via wi-fi, and repeat. Each time, I had to re-focus unnecessarily and reset the work origin even though it was the same. (I lined the cards up the same way each time.) The re-focusing wasn’t a big deal, it just wasted time. But lining up the work origin over and over was labor intensive. Why can’t the machine remember the last work origin and default to that position for the next run?

Either one of these enhancements would save me a ton of time while making things. Getting both would make me throw a party with delight. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Brad

1 Like

While a bit dated, your reasoning is exactly why I made a repeatable origin guide. :slight_smile:

More refinements to it can be found in my lightburn guide. Having a header and footer option like Lightburn offers really helps with bypassing all the strangeness of the snapmaker’s origin. Also has the API for manually inputting where you want to auto-read the height with the 10W laser.

The Lightburn control guide:

I think your issue is sending the job via wifi. I laser from Luban only and I never need to reset the origin (or refocus). You can uncheck autofocus, but my pieces are always in a jig at 0,0 (lower left) so makes no difference. I load and position the next file while lasering the current object. I just did a production of 24 same size/material objects with 24 different designs.