Initial Layer Adhesion Issue

I upgraded my printer to the A350-T module and rails, and I’m trying to get the perfect print settings for speed and quality. On my initial layer, I’m seeing an issue where the adhesion seems to be good in some areas, and not good in others.

In the photo below, beside the green line represents a discernible fringe of bad adhesion. I assume this has something to do with the head changing directions? Inside blue area seems random in that it’s likely related to the bed and not necessarily anything to do with the head changing direction. I’m using Luban and I have my Initial Layer Printing Speed set to 15mm/s and my bed temp is 70C. Any ideas on why this could be happening? Is my initial speed too low and/or my bed temp too high?

First of all, it would be interesting to know which filament you use (PLA, ABS, …) and what temperature your nozzle is at?
Next, I would like to know whether you have calibrated the bed automatically or manually.

Blauskink, I’m printing PLA and my nozzle temperature is 205C. I may have figured out what the issue is though. I’ve been using a product named “Bed Weld” because I had been having adhesion issues. The bed weld does what it’s supposed to do, however, if it’s not applied extremely even, it can have the opposite effect – bad adhesion.

I started from scratch with a new, clean “sticker” with no bed weld, and the issue is no longer present.

Hi Vaughn,

Your picture ist typical for being to close to the bed.
You could try recalibration or you could do the following: Start the print and during heating up go to “adjust settings” → “z-offset”. My guess is that you could increase the z-offset to at least +0.2. Then look if your printing picture gets smoother. You can also adjust during print then let it print some lines of the bottom fill and re-adjust as you like. The value is saved for later prints so you don’t have to do that every time again once you found the best setting.

Greatings,
Thomas

1 Like