Imported SVG not the right size

I’m making a radio and want to CNC the box from MDF or plywood. However, whenever I import the .svg file (made by a YouTube channel called Great Scott) it doesn’t appear as its original size. I’ve opened it with Fusion 360 and Inkscape and it appears at around 160mm wide. However, when I add it to the CNC bit of Luban v3.9 it appears as only around 55mm wide. I tried exporting it to a .dxf file, but that made no difference. I saved it as a plain SVG file and it appeared even smaller at around 20mm wide.

Any suggestions here? I’m not really a designer (I can’t even work out how to create a rectangle in Inkscape without a fill!!!).

It happens the same to me when importing .svg files drawn in Inkscape.

I don’t have any idea of why is happening, but I solve it doing the following: in Inkscape --> file --> document properties you can see the size of your drawing. Then, after adding it in Luban, in the editor menu, I change the size to that one. This works for me at least for the laser cut, so I guess it would also do for the CNC.

I hope it helps.

Thanks. That seems to work. I’ve yet to actually try the cut, but it looks to be the right dimensions in Luban now. I actually upgraded Luban from 2.7.9 which also had the same problem. I might contact support to see if they have any ideas. It seems strange that it still has the problem as I would have thought using SVG for CNC milling would be very common?

You need to ensure it is created & exported using mm for the units.

I had same problem. Inkscape defaults to px for units when you save/export

2 Likes

I imported the original Laser_test_A350.svg to inkscape. Inkscape tells me its 200x200mm. If I imort it to Luban it’s 25,6x25,6mm. My Luban is v 3.11.0.

Might be a bug in Luban.

The native unit of SVG is the pixel, an abstract length. To convert to an actual size, you have to define the size of the pixel. This is most often done with inverse pixel size, that is, in pixels per mm or pixels per inch. In your case, Inkscape and Luban are using different conversion sizes.

I know that pixel size can be changed in Inkscape, and I wouldn’t even try to change it in Luban. It sounds like you might get the result you want if you multiply the pixel size by 256/200 = 1.28. That means dividing by the pixels per mm by 1.28.

I think this is a bug in Luban. Older versions worked ok. See https://github.com/Snapmaker/Luban/issues/502

1 Like