How to read focus length after autofocus?

Hi all -

I believe that after you run the Autofocus procedure for the laser, the SM2 stores the focus length in RAM somewhere, so the measurement is retained between power off/on cycles.

I would like to know what measurement it came up with, so I can adjust for material thickness in other programs.

I thought I saw a gcode command you could send through the serial port to get it to print that out, but several searches on the forum and I wasn’t able to find it. (My search-fu is weak today.)

For example, if autofocus determines that my focal length is 23.5mm above the work surface, then I’d like to add 23.5 to the material thickness in LightBurn to set the z-height.

I’ve seen several posts that show how to find it manually (from @jepho, using the “manual jog down by 10, then 1, then 0.1mm and add it up” method), but would like something more precise if possible.

Thanks!!

The focus height it shown on the start screen on the touch screen unit, ust under where it says Make Something…Is that what you need?

1 Like

In addition to the touchscreen, already mentioned, does M1005, M1006, or M503 return that information? I could check tonight.

And personally, rather than adding it up manually, I’d G92 Z0 to set a reference touching the top of the material, and go from there, just focus it and read the result. G53 when done to reset the temp coordinate system to machine coordinates.

Edit: G92.1 might be the more ‘proper’ way to reset temporary work offsets, reading the documentation. G53 seems to work fine for how I use it.

1 Like

I regret that I have but one “Solution” checkbox to give - thanks @albutch and @brent113 - both are perfect! I think I like brent’s solution a little more (the G92 workflow). I think that’s exactly what I was looking for!

This community rocks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes