Laser Calibration

Hello Community,

has anybody been able to calculate or find the perfect focus/laser hight ?
Or is there no perfect setting ?

Thanks,
phil

Everyoneā€™s is slightly different.
There should be an optimal setting.
Thatā€™s what the auto calibration is supposed to determine.
If youā€™re doing it manually youā€™re trying to have the smallest dot possible.
Iā€™ve found for engraving itā€™s pretty forgiving though.
-S

1 Like

How come every time i recalibrate a different value comes up ?

Iā€™m experiencing the same thing - every recalibration generates a new valueā€¦

One thing Iā€™ve learnt is that thereā€™s an optimal height from the laser to the material.

So regardless of the focus height value, every time I manually adjust the z-offset to achieve the optimal height and so far itā€™s working okay, but a pain to remember doing it everytimeā€¦

1 Like

may i ask around what z axis hight is working best for you ?

For me, a z-height around 23 works best.

1 Like

i have been finding 24.8 quite satisfying and turning the lens-cap down a little. (less than 1mm)

i have tried to manually find the smallest spot which burns through paper 160g/m2. I had to use 50% power cause no lower would do anything.
It seems to be 25.4mm

Hi, having problems with laser cutting and trying to debug the problem.
What do you mean with ā€˜turning the lens cap downā€™? To unscrew a bit the laser black cylinder? What is this for?

On SM2 thereā€™s a lens hood.
It does absolutely nothing except shield your eyes from the laser. You can screw it down to shield more. You can remove it if you want and especially if you need the extra room for multiple height passes. Or if your workpiece isnā€™t all the same height. Or if youā€™re using taller clamps or fixtures. Some people just leave it off but I prefer the extra protection it gives.

-S

2 Likes

Thanks @sdj544. I know and today I am planning to test it without the hood.
However, my question was directed to @phil sentence about ā€œturning the lens cap down a littleā€.

My answer was directed at that sentence and your question. Itā€™s a hood, not a cap. And turning it does absolutely nothing.

-S

I see, thanks! I read too fast

Hi Jabian,
I have taken it off.
As sdj544 says it does absolutely nothing except allow you to have more stepdown space.

1 Like

Auto-Calibration hasnā€™t been successful for me. It tells me failed and then asks me to pick the best line, but the few lines that are there arenā€™t marked. Not sure how to achieve the manual calibration. From this thread it sounds like you just go in turn on laser and adjust z offset?

Hi @ConnDad836 ,

there are discussions and videos about itā€¦ check on the touchscreen the laser power & in luban there are some things to be tweakedā€¦ i havenā€™t updated or anything since initial setupā€¦ software is probably quite different by nowā€¦
do you use an enclosure ?

Hi
Found my Snapmaker 2ā€™s magic number is 23.9. Took a lot of testing as I could not get Auto calibrate to work after latest update(V 1.12.0)

Hi @seandutoit,
is that with the hood on or off ?

I havenā€™t recalibrated yet but before the updates I found mine to be 25.1. with out the hood.

I kept the hood on during my latest tests

good to know ! thank you !