High print fail rate after Firmware update

Hello there,

so after I installed the latest version of the firmware almost every print is failing even the first layer will not stick right to the bed and I do everything as I did it before and the prints went perfectly. Even if I run g-codes that work fine now fail. the filament is dry and pretty new so this should be fine. had someone experience something similar?

i mean did u recalibrate?

I calibrated the bed after the firmware do i have to make more steps?

You have to calibrate your e-steps and everything else you changed before the update.

1 Like

Oh man thats some pain in the butt :roll_eyes: then i will do this again too. By this opportunity can someone explain me what the k factor is and what it does i read it in some of @brent113 post but had no idea what that is :sweat_smile:

For me after the firmware update I did not need to recalibrate e-steps… Did a bed recalibration, but only because I inbetween had removed the printhead. And the first re-calibration of the bed somehow went awry, could not get a decent first layer either, so I re-calibrated once more, and then it was OK. My assumption is that I did not wait long enough to let the bed heat up. To explain: I calibrate nowadays this way:

• Heat up bed to 70°C (I print typically at 60°C)
  • Let it adjust a bit (~5-10 mins max - and here I might have been impatient)
  • Run a calibration (5x5)

After calibration usually the bed has cooled down to ~45-50°C, but I find the bed calibration good enough after this. I am really looking forward to Snapmaker implementing warm bed calibration.I guess this will solve many peoples problems.

1 Like

I haven’t found that e-steps have changed after any firmware updates.
It’s easy enough to check before and after and see if the value resets.
Haven’t done any 3d printing on new update so haven’t double checked.
-S

OK seems I went wrong somwhere in the darkness :laughing:

1 Like

So the e steps are the same as befor the update? Bc wenn i have to recalibrate the esteps i have to start with the value from the last time right?

I installed the version befor the actual one and went the print with only calibrate the bed and went fine

I have not upgraded my firmware yet. Should I somehow record all my current settings (from a log file or something) before upgrading? Silly question, but what is an e step?

@Espot

Read here:

1 Like

If the e-steps value is really gone, I just would set the one you found last time. It should not depend on firmware. the esteps value is just a calibration between required mm of filament and necessary stepper motor steps to achieve this. Since the stepper motor and all physical parts stay the same, the value should not change.

Interesingly enough, esteps value seems to change when you run another calibration after the first - which i suppose is because the calibration process has to work against the resistance of the nozzle. Someone suggested to remove the hotend for esteps calibration. However, since most people here report very similar results of their esteps calibration and everyone is happy with the results, I’d say its a mute point.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s a helpful article!

I dont know why the firmware change would do anything to your ability to print.

There is argument that updating firmware in order helps stability, those who know best say its bogus, but all i know is i have never had any of these goofy issues.

1 Like

Thats a solid explanation thx but you say the e steps should stay the same as i calibrate it last time

Yeah i dont know why i think i will install the new one again calibrate the e steps an level the bend and print a cali cube

What version did u roll back to

I think its 1.10.1 but its just the one befor the new o e

ok thanks, just checking a theory.

1 Like