3D printing works sometimes, other times not

Didn’t know how else to describe my issue. I did search the four and while I’m willing to be the answer to my problem is here, I just couldn’t find it.

So, I have had the printer since Christmas and yes, I am new to 3D printing. I have followed all of the guides and steps that I can find, including extruder calibration. My first print was successful. I was a simple flat object that only took a few hours. I have also successfully printer 4-5 other items. But several times I have attempted a print and I’ll just post pics, it will be easier to explain that way.

Hope the pic shows up. Its done this several times on different objects. Any ideas?

Also a 3D noobie, and I found the 3D printer to be well in line with anything in history that was called printer (remember the amount of trashed prints you get from early inkjets?). Anyway, this guide is kind of helpful. The section “Not Sticking to the Bed” is one of the most common issues I have, with all the factors there listed playing a role: adjusting temperature, lowering speed, re-calibrating the bed leveling.

I always have to observe the first one or two layers printed properly before leaving the machine alone, it seems this moment where the first layer gets done is really the shaky technology right now. I have the feeling, the longer the machine runs (even with the same settings), the better the initial printing when you repeat, perhaps it has to due with fine adjustments to temperature in the nozzle, or the repeated heating up of the bed, or getting rid of some sub-optimal filament. I also found that bed leveling calibration is not super accurate, so sometimes it just helps to calibrate “again”, perhaps the sensor values will be slightly different and better. Also the other items mentioned in that page, like adding a brim.

Cant quite tell what’s going on from your picture but I assume its an issue with the initial layer bed adhesion?

3 things to try:

• (1) When calibrating get the nozzle tighter to the surface and/or add a skirt in slicer settings so you have time to adjust the z offset on the touch screen while the print is starting.
  • (2) Use a glue stick to apply a thin layer where you are printing to increase bed adhesion
  • (3) Change slicer settings to print the first layer hotter and with a thicker layer (for 0.4 nozzle try 0.25)