Hi, welcome to our forum! Please introduce yourself. =)

Hey! I got ya beat by a year, 1971 with FORTRAN IV typing out punch cards in my High School class. Then on to BASIC at the U of U typing out on teletype terminals! Boy in those days a CRT was to kill for. I remember wanting to buy an HP portable “calculator” I think they called it for $10k which is about as much as my Dad paid for his Mangusta and twice what he paid for his Cobra. Oh, don’t get me started…

Welcome Nikola, this is a fun place.

4 Likes

we had a 12 key hand punch machine for our cards… in heaven when electric card punches came along with a full keyboard… went onto an IBM 360 Model 50…wow…the histories we could share.

4 Likes

I think I have you beat Doug. lol

So who remembers these guys?

1 Like

hahaha, that is like an IBM 2540 Card Reader and punch… it could also create punch cards… i used one of these

Doug

Do you remember wiring the boards for them? That was fun. Lol

1 Like

I started as a computer operator before becoming a systems programmer. I can remember doing wire wraps on boards…the engineers had neat tools for that.

Me too and then took Cobol and RPG. Most of my early years were spent on S/34, S/36, S/38. Then a few years on AS400 which became the I Series.

1 Like

I went the high road on mainframes, 360’s, 370’s, 3031, 3033, 3081, 3390, 4300’s in a range of businesses and govt depts

I did work on the 360 for a while before getting a job closer to home.

1 Like

Hello, the time has come to introduce myself:
I am Damien 43 years old and living in France :fr:, I am technical director in an audiovisual equipment :speaker: :film_projector: :flashlight: installation company for theaters, concert halls and crisis management. In addition to that I am also an importer of equipment for aerial recreation :parachute: (which I import from the Czech Republic).
I don’t have a snapmaker yet but I plan to order a 2 in the coming days. My purchase is mainly motivated by personal curiosity about the potential of this machine but why not also produce some pieces that can be useful.
We look forward to talking with you on these different subjects.
Best regards
Damien

3 Likes

Hi Damien, welcome to the forum. It is always good to learn about using the machine before you actually purchase it. Let us know if you have any questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nigel

Just watched an old movie from 1984 “Electric Dreams” about a computer that gains intelligence… I had been working on computers for a dozen years before this …what an impact the movie had on those who knew nothing about computers. If you did not see it , here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKzWrW34zbU
Such great memories

Doug

1 Like

Hello
My name is Chip Hendricks. I am an electrical engineer by trade but I love to tinker in many things. My main hobbies are electronics, my workshop and computers. My A350 is on order and I am new to 3d printing, etc. I’m here to absorb the knowledge while I patiently (not so much) wait for September delivery. I live in Ona, West Virginia.

3 Likes

Welcome to a great group of folks. So many willing to help!

1 Like

Hi, if you love tinkering, then you are at the right place. Welcome to the forum :grinning:

1 Like

Hello I’m Ann. I retired from the US Army and currently live in Tombstone AZ. I plan on using my snapmaker to make knickknacks and other projects that I dream up. I also plan on engraving plaques for veterans organizations in the area. I’m new to all of this and am excited to get started.

4 Likes

Welcome Ann

You have entered into a fun time in life and the Snapmaker will give you some joy …hahahaha and frustrations as you learn.

Make sure to look through the many great references and links at SnapLinks

This Snapmaker community is collegiate and friendly so feel free so share your questions, results, failures and frustrations etc…we are learning.

Keep having fun

Doug

3 Likes

Hello, I am Steve T.
I am a retired cnc machinist and just purchased an A150 just for fun during the pandemic.

4 Likes

Hello all, I am Deter. I am new to making, and I am excitedly awaiting the arrival of my A350 snapmaker 2.0 and all the swag. I am sure I will be contacting some of you or posting questions to the forum as I am not an engineer nor have an extremely technical background. I am a caveman looking to graduate from Neanderthal to at least a padawan maker at some point.
Cheers.

4 Likes