Help, terrible beating noise

Ja, so ist es, und so soll es auch sein! Dieser “Plastikstreifen” leitet die Wärme von der Leiterplatte an das Gehäuse weiter.

Es ist Dein Drucker und Du kannst damit machen, was Du willst, aber da ich schwer vermute, daß Du absolut keine Ahnung hast, was Du da in der Hand hast schlage ich dringend vor, das Ganze so wie es ist vorsichtig wieder zusammenzubauen, es nie wieder anzufassen und zu beten, daß es genausogut funktioniert wie vorher.

Yes, it is like that and it is supposed to be like that! This “plastic strip” is what transfers the heat from the PCB to the housing.

It si your printer and you can do with it whatever you like, but since I have the strong feeling that you do not have a clue of what you have in your hand, I really, really suggest you carefully reassemble the whole thing as it is, never touch it again and pray that you did not make it dirty or such.

Da mein erstes Board nach dem Update auf die 2.4.8 nicht mehr ging, hatte ich ein neues bekommen. Da habe ich dann dieses Pad natürlich auch aufgesetzt.
War etwas verwundert, dass bei dem neuen Board kein Pad dabei war. Somit habe ich das vom ersten Board auf das neue gemacht.

Since my first board no longer worked after the update to 2.4.8, I got a new one. So of course I set up this pad as well.
I was a bit surprised that the new board didn’t come with a pad. So I transferred it from the first board to the new one.

Das war eine sehr weise Idee, sonst hättest Du nicht lange Freude mit dem Board gehabt - und unklug von Snapmaker, daß sie da kein neues Wärmeleitpad beigelegt haben, das kann man sehr leicht zerstören beim Abziehen.

(Edit: nur als Erklärung, warum ich so entsetzt reagiert habe: Deine Anmerkung war, als würde ein Mensch in der Werkstatt vor seinem Auto stehen und sich wundern, was denn das Wasser im Kühler soll und ob man das nicht weglassen könne)

That was a very wise idea, otherwise you wouldn’t have had much fun with the board - and it was stupid from Snapmaker not to include a new thermal pad. These things can easily be destroyed when pulling them off.

(Edit: just to explain why I reacted so horrified: Your comment was like a person standing in front of his car in the workshop wondering what the water in the radiator was for and whether it could be left out).

Hi @Mechanikus & @everyone

Jetzt bin ich mir zu 100 % sicher, dass es mit der Temperatur zusammenhängen muss.
Nur weiß ich noch nicht, ob die Temperatur der Motoren oder ob es die Platine ist.

Ich ducke gerade meinen letzten Auftrag, nur ohne Filament, die Filament-Überwachung habe ich deaktiviert.
Es fängt genau so an, wie beim Drucken mit Filament, derzeit noch relativ wenig, aber es wird mehr und auch das Quietschen eines der Motoren, wie ich schon beschrieben habe, als würde man den Motor festhalten wollen.

Könntest Du bitte mal einen Vergleichstest von meiner Datei durchführen?
Eventuell noch jemand, damit ich endlich mal nachvollziehen kann, was genau das Problem ist.

Der Gcode ist mit 200 mm/s und einer Schichthöhe von 0,24 mit Luban bearbeitet und deaktivierten Bauteilelüfter.
Die habe ich auf 130 % erhöht, um schneller ein Ergebnis zu erzielen.
Der Filamentsensor muss deaktiviert sein!
Test_i3sven_1684408574849.gcode (6.4 MB)

Finale Bilder:

English:

Now I am 100% sure that it must be related to the temperature.
Only I don’t know yet if it’s the temperature of the motors or if it’s the board.

I am currently ducking my last job, only without filament, I have disabled the filament monitoring.
It starts exactly the same as when printing with filament, relatively little at the moment, but it is getting more and also the squeaking of one of the motors, as I already described, as if you want to hold the motor.

**Could you please do a comparison test of my file?
**Eventually someone else, so I can finally understand what exactly the problem is.

**The Gcode is processed with 200 mm/s and a layer height of 0.24 with Luban and deactivated component fan.
I increased this to 130% to get a faster result.
The filament sensor must be deactivated!

Update:

da ich jetzt bei 93 % bin und es nicht sehr viel schlimmer geworden ist, gehe ich davon aus, dass ich mit meiner Annahme “Temperatur der Platine” richtig liege.
Gemessene Temperatur von 34 °C, vorher hatte ich ca. 40 °C innerhalb der Elektronik.
Aber auch dieses Mal, je höher die Temperatur innerhalb der Elektronik, desto öfter die Schläge.
Ich werde das jetzt noch mal ohne Deckel über der Elektronik probieren, mal sehen, was dann passiert.

Die Gehäusetemperatur im Druckbereich betrug maximal 33 °C.

English:

Update:

since I am now at 93% and it has not gotten much worse, I assume that I am correct in my assumption "temperature of the circuit board ".
Measured temperature of 34 °C, before I had about 40 °C inside the electronics.
But also this time, the higher the temperature inside the electronics, the more often the shocks.
I will now try this again without the lid over the electronics, let’s see what happens then.
The housing temperature in the pressure range was a maximum of 33 °C.

Ich bin gerade noch dabei, den 2. Test zu machen und bin sehr enttäuscht.
Leider kann ich selbst ohne Abdeckung der Elektronik, aber mit geschlossenem Druckraum keinen Unterschied feststellen, im Gegenteil, es fühlt sich wieder schlimmer an.
Die Temperatur der Elektronik liegt um die 28–29 °C, auch die Druckraumtemperatur liegt bei 29 °C.

Jetzt mache ich noch einen Versuch, komplett ohne den Druckraum zu schließen, alles offen damit die Luft zirkulieren kann.
Mal sehen…

English:
I am just about to do the 2nd test and am very disappointed.
Unfortunately, even without covering the electronics, but with the pressure chamber closed, I can not notice any difference, on the contrary, it feels worse again.
The temperature of the electronics is around 28-29 °C, also the pressure chamber temperature is around 29 °C.

Now I’m going to make another try, completely without closing the pressure chamber, all open so the air can circulate.
Let’s see…

My printer has just developed this “creaking” sound last night which seems to be very similar to what others here have. Mostly from the rail moving in the Y direction (front-to-back).

I’ve already ruled out loose panels and extruders.

Creak is most pronounced with rapid front-and-back movement and sounds like some screw or gear coming loose. I can foresee this getting ever louder and more annoying which will prevent me from printing in middle of the night.

Okay, da kann ich mir den Test wohl sparen. Das sagt mir, daß die Temperatur der Elektronik da eben nichts ausmacht - mal völlig davon abgesehen, das 40°C vollkommen harmlos sind. Nur zum Vergleich: Die TMCs haben eine Sicherheitsabschaltung, die bei 120°C ihren niedrigsten Abschaltpunkt hat. Darunter laufen die einfach.

Das liegt also weder am gedruckten Objekt noch am Controller, schon mal ein erster Schritt. Jetzt mach mal einen Leerlauftest mit lauter X- Bewegungen und einen mit lauter Y-Bewegungen, um die Achsen einzugrenzen.

Daß das mit geschlossenen Türen lauter wird, könnte nebenbei daran liegen, das die Türen einfach als Schallmembran wirken.

Okay, I guess I can skip the test you asked for then. Your result tells me that the temperature of the electronics has nothig to do with this - apart from the fact that 40°C is completely harmless. Just for comparison: the TMC steppers have their lowest thermal security shutoff point at 120°C. Below that value, these chips simply do their job.

This means the issue is neither the controller nor the printed object but something in between. Now I suggest to make a test with just X and one with just Y movements to further limit down the issue to one axis.

The reason for the noise getting louder might be caused from the doors acting as a kind of “loudspeaker membrane” by the way.

@Y0tsuya did you check the Y belt tensioners in the back of the printer? These made rather weird noises on mine until I put a drop of oil on virtually all parts where metal could (even minimally) slide over metal.

Doesn’t seem to be from there. The noise is more toward the front, although I’m having a difficult time localizing it.

@Mechanikus

Schade, wäre trotzdem nett, wenn jemand mal den Testdruck machen würde, wie soll ich sonst herausfinden, ob das nur mich betrifft!
(oder bauartbedingt normal ist)

Okay, ich mache den X und später den Y Test noch, aber das wird nicht viel nützen, denn die Geräusche kommen, nur wenn die Achsen abgebremst werden und dann auch nur vermehrt in Kombination.

TestXY_1684477798531.gcode (1.3 MB)

TestXY_1684478745329.gcode (1.3 MB)

English:

@Mechanikus

Too bad, would still be nice if someone would do the test print, how else am I supposed to find out if this only affects me!

Okay, I’ll do the X and later the Y test, but that will not help much, because the noises come only when the axles are braked and then only increased in combination.

Wie ich schon beschrieben habe, keinerlei Probleme, wenn nur X oder Y arbeitet.
Es ist die Kombination von beiden Achsen, abruptes Abbremsen oder so…
Auf alle Fälle ist absolute Ruhe, wenn die Achsen einzeln arbeiten müssen.

As I have already described, no problems at all when only X or Y is working.
It is the combination of both axes, abrupt braking or something…
In any case, absolute silence when the axes have to work individually.

@Y0tsuya Hm, after taking a second look at your video, i noticed a “clack” only seems happen when the Y axis decelerates after a move towards the front. Since you say the noise comes from the front, I would check each screw (Y axis motor fixture, connection towards the drive shaft, bearing supports of Y axis etc) if something might have become slightly loose there.

Okay, fassen wir mal zusammen:

• Temperaturprobleme des Controllers und irgendwelche Geräusche durch die Düse sind ausgeschlossen
  • Dein aktueller X bzw. Y-Test sagt, daß das Problem auch nicht auftritt, wenn nur eine Achse läuft (ich gehe mal davon aus, das Du die Achsen lange genug hast rennen lassen, um das sicher auszuschließen). Das heißt, es muß irgendwas sein, was durch die kombinierte XY-Beschleunigung ausgelöst wird, nicht jedoch durch eine reine X- oder Y-Beschleunigung.

Da beim J1 mit Ausnahme der Gehäusesäulen so ziemlich alles im 90°-Winkel zueinander montiert ist, wundert mich das erstmal, aber machen wir mal weiter und gucken, was man noch rauskriegt.

Wenn Deine Annahme stimmt, dann muß das Geräusch ja eigentlich wiederholbar auftreten, wenn Du

• die Achsen im Rechteck fahren läßt (erster Test)
  • und wenn Du den Druckkopf auf eine 45°-Bahn schickst, die in der Ecke endet, wo es beim Rechteck Geräusche gibt - in beiden Fällen wirkt nämlich dieselbe Beschleunigungsrichtung auf den Druckkopf.

Da kommt es jetzt drauf an, in welcher Ecke des Rechtecks bzw. bei welcher Richtung einer um 45° geneigten Bahn die Sache auftritt - und ob das dann mit beiden Druckköpfen auftritt oder nur bei einem.

Okay, let’s summarise:

• Temperature problems of the controller and noise from the nozzle can be ruled out.
  • Your current X or Y test says that the problem does not occur when only one axis is running (I assume you have run the axes long enough to make this sure). This means that it must be something triggered by the combined XY acceleration, but not by a pure X or Y acceleration.

Since pretty much everything on the J1 is mounted at 90° to each other, with the exception of the housing columns, this is a bit surprising for now, but let’s see what else we can find out.

If your guess is correct, then the noise must occur repeatedly when you

• move the axes in a rectangle (first test)
  • and when you send the print head on a 45° path that ends in the corner where the noise occurs in the rectangle - in both cases the same direction of acceleration acts on the print head.

Now the question is in which corner of the rectangle or in which direction of a 45° angled path the noise occurs - and whether it occurs with both printheads or only with one.

In the past you had mentioned that the problem gets worse towards the end of a print job. Is it possible that it is not a finction of time, but of the height of the print bed?

Moin,
danke, dass Du Dich gedanklich beteiligst.
Heute hatte ich den Drucker erst mal auseinandergenommen und wieder zusammengesetzt.
Dabei habe ich eine Verspannung der Brücke gerichtet und alles wieder schön eingestellt.
Jetzt suche ich mir etwas, was ich wieder normal Drucken kann, um den Strom, den ich verbrauche auch zu nutzen, mal sehen, wie das läuft.

English:
Hi,
thank you for your thoughtful participation.
Today I took the printer apart and put it back together again.
In the process, I straightened out some tension in the bridge and set everything up nicely again.
Now I’m looking for something I can print normally again to use the power I consume also, let’s see how that goes.

The phenomenon has nothing to do with the print bed…

Kein Problem. Allerdings ist meine Hauptbeschäftigung derzeit abseits des 3D-Drucks - und ein guter Teil des Rests geht dahin, wie ich den J1 mit einer Duet 3 6HC verheirate. Für die Filamentsensoren scheine ich nun aber schon mal eine Lösung zu haben, die Simulation des Magnetfelds für den Hallsensor sieht jedenfalls gut aus. Und das Displaygehäuse scheint im zweiten Anlauf auch besser rauszukommen, damit beschäftigt sich der J1 gerade.

Dann halte ich die Daumen - wann es einfach eine Verspannung war, wäre das ja gut. Ansonsten bin ich dann nach Pfingsten wieder erreichbar.

No problem. However, my main occupation at the moment is away from 3D printing - and a good part of the rest goes to how to marry the J1 with a Duet 3 6HC. But I seem to have a solution for the filament sensors now, the simulation of the magnetic field for the Hall sensor looks good anyway. And the display housing also seems to come out better in the second attempt, the J1 is occupied with that at the moment.

Then I’ll keep my fingers crossed - if it was just a tension in the mechanics, that would be good. Otherwise, I’ll be back after Whitsun.

I got myself one of those mechanic stethoscopes trying to locate the source of the noise and it seems most “defined” at the right rail frame at the highlighted area. Not the rail but the part of the frame where the rail is secured to which is kind of strange because the frame appears to be nice and solid.

RXV03254

I’ve already loosey-tighty’d all the easily accessible screws along the rail but don’t notice any improvement. Not quite ready to take the entire thing apart but maybe someone else who has already done that can give a clue on what’s inside.

The frame does not only appear nice and solid - it is nice and solid :wink:

If you get a noise maximum there, I highly suspect the Y linear rail on that side should have a damage somewhere in that area - but that is something you only can confirm by removing the axis assembly from the slider so that you can move the slider by hand (or - better - by taking out the whole linear rail)