Fusion 360 > Simplify3D Observation

Hi All

As a newbie, I have been racing at learning as much as I can and trying many projects on Snapmaker.

I certainly don’t know enough to explain the following observation. I share this experience for the knowledge of all.

I created a simple part in Fusion 360 and printed the following part using Simplify3D. When it printed it came out well however on handling, it fell into the two designed pieces. I checked all the run parameters and all looked good. Given it was a small part I tried again and the same result. hmmmm

I tried the same .STL file in Snapmaker3D and it also printed well and was one solid object and did not split.
I tried the same .STL file in Cura and it also printed well and was one solid object and did not split.
Finally I tried the same .STL file in Simplify3D and it printed well…and yet it fell apart on handling…more hmmm

I looked at the Fusion 360 file for the design and at previous parts I have created. In previous parts I would click on face and add parts with the Create function and this Joined the items together (a light bulb moment).

Back in Fusion 360 I found that I could Combine the two bodies I had created through the Modify > Combine function, which resulted in one body.

I printed this new .STL file with the combined bodies and the part printed well and did not fall apart. When Simplify3D printed the previous version with two bodies it was almost as if it left an air-gap between the two parts, something that Snapmaker3D and Cura did not do.

I have since tested this on other parts and the same result.

I don’t know enough to explain this. All I know is that combining the bodies eliminates those separation issues.

Keep having fun

Doug

4 Likes