Electrical spark from main controller

Hello,

I’d like to share my recents incidents with the connection/disconnection of any usb socket from the main controller with the machine turned on. I’m aware that any Snapmaker connector should not be removed with the machine ON, but I’m having the USB sockets to produce a fairly large electrical spark while disconnecting them, with the machine shutting down for a second or two before recovering. It happened with the included USB key and the USB computer cable. Since then Luban does not recognise the machine automatically… Hoping that not too much damaged has been done.
I have contacted support and I’m waiting for a reply.

Surely you don’t switch your machine ON/OFF every time your use the usb sockets right?
Thanks and happy Christmas!

The spark you’re describing sounds like a static electricity discharge. That’s not good near any electronics.

I don’t know what the earth situation is around the SM, but others in this forum might have a contribution to make.

Thanks for your quick reply. I use a home made enclosure, with Plexiglass doors, which are not the best with static electricity, could that be the problem?

Thanks

Absolutely that could cause issues. Depending on what flooring you have, what humidity, if there’s opportunity to discharge, all are factors.

You can mitigate static on acrylic by rubbing graphite onto the sheet. It creates a very thin layer and reduces the resistivity of the surface, allowing a conduction path for built-up charge to dissipate. Coat both sides. Coat all the way to the edges and make sure that the sheets are bonded to an earth potential.

A couple people on FB a while back reported frying their controller this way and it didn’t sound like a static discharge type of thing.
Since that I do all plugging and unplugging of everything with the machine off.
I figure why take the risk.
(Another reason I mainly use luban to transfer and not usb drive)

-S