Electric sparks when plugging usb drive into snapmaker 2.0

Hey forum goers. I was printing with my Snapmaker 2.0 just earlier today, with no issues using a Usb stick. All of a sudden, my machine is emitting electrical sparks when plugging Usb sticks into it. I’ve tried two Usb sticks, which cause an immediate shut off and spark to emit from the usb port. I have also tried an unpowered, usb cable, which did not have any effect.

Plugging in the original usb cable into the(macro usb? the one directly next to the touchscreen port) results in an okay connection, but wiggling the cable around a bit at the printer connection port results in enclosure lights flickering, and occasional sparks.

Leaving the Usb stick plugged in results in it getting stuck in a boot loop. This issue popped up suddenly after using the machine in it’s position for weeks. The only thing I’ve changed is the exhaust vent(Attached the Og exhaust tubing to a 3d printed adapter that extends to aluminim exhaust duct.)

What could possibly be causing such an issue? Is my controller in dire need of replacement? Where to start troubleshooting? I’ll be happy to provide any additional context needed to the situation.

Sounds like something got misplaced inside the controller and on mechanical stress causes a short. If you’re not averse to opening the controller (it’s not difficult), that’s what I’d do in your place, and have a look around where the problem arises from. If it sparks, I’d expect to see burn marks that should make the location of the problem easy. I’d not use the machine until the issue is solved, because worst case you cause permanent damage which that gets expensive to repair.

Feel free to send photos if you’re stuck!

I was really hoping for a metal shaving to be just relaxing inside of the controller causing this whole mess. I went ahead an carefully opened up the controller but couldn’t even find a burn mark! The electrical Spark has probably happened about 7 times at this point. After that I just didn’t want to risk permanent damage when I knew I wasn’t fixing anything. The Spark most always seems to come from the left side of the usb socket.

Here’s a picture or two of the seemingly fine Usb socket. I’m definitely no electrician though, so something may be here that is indicative of a short.

Next step is to use a multimeter to test some things. Support just got back to me with that, so I’m going to try their steps and i’ll update that bit once I hear back from them.

I appreciate the response Hauke. Having your machine down is no fun, especially when there is a chance of an electrical hazard.

After reassembling the snapmaker controller, I plugged everything back in, updated firmware from a custom version… to the most recent. I hesitantly brought the usb stick to the port and plugged it in with no sparking. The machine did not power off. I wonder if I blew something that was causing a short out of the controller when it was opened up? Or could the issue stem from having custom firmware? I’m not sure whether to be relieved or afraid that I didn’t find the source of the problem.

Just went to plug the usb stick in. It is definitely still happening.

It is the time of year that would be conducive to static electricity. I moved my printer a month ago but havens had any problems. The floor image standing on has a pocket of cold, dry air underneath it, along with a cold, dry window next to it. Perhaps it needs to be grounded?

Your photos indeed do not show anything obvious… I think firmware can safely be ruled out as the reason of problems, AFAIK there are no relevant parts in the printer that are software controlled that would explain sparks and machine shutdown.

Static electricity might be the culprit, although I think its unlikely, at least in such a repeatable pattern. If you want to make sure that it’s not static electricity, before you plug in the USB stick, touch with your fingers the metal housing of the controller, touch with the USB stick shielding the controller housing and only then insert the USB stick. If it still sparks, it is not static electricity.

There’s a chance that it is a problem with your home AC network/cabeling. One way to check is that you turn the mains plug by 180°, i.e. the pin of the powerplug that went into the left socket hole of the AC outlet goes then into the right one and vice versa. If sparking vanishes then, it’s time to call your electrician, most likely the grounding/wiring of the AC outlet is problematic, and worst case dangerous.

Finally in order to better see the spark, consider running your controller outside the housing, i.e. with the naked circuit board/PCB exposed. You need to be careful not to cause a short on the circuit board, so put it away from anything metal, including rings on your finger, metal shavings, the Snapmaker linear modules etc. If you then insert the USB stick, without the obstructing housing, you might be able to better see where exactly the spark originates.

Finally, perhaps Snapmaker support is helpful, would write them a mail.

EDIT: Perhaps two more ideas:

If you insert the USB stick, is any of the four metal parts on the back of the plug that go down to the PCB moving? If so, does it touch the shield? If so, that’s the problem :slight_smile:

And: I imagine that I can see some metal dust - perhaps get yourself pressurized air and blow it into the USB socket and across the PCB to remove any dust that might be conductive…

1 Like

An update! Snapmaker support had me test whether or not I got sparks with the 3dp head connected, disconnected with toolhead wiring still plugged in, and both the 3dp and toolhead wiring disconnected.

If I plug the usb drive in with the 3dp module hooked up to the machine properly, I get sparks and the machine resets.

I have now attempted plugging usb drives into the machine in different setups(toolhead wiring alone, Dx module installed, 1.6 laser installed, and the 10W laser installed) and none of them spark! I wiggled it around a bit, not even a flicker from the enclosure lights.

The downside, my machine is not recognizing my usb drives at all now. I am able to use and transfer files with them on my computer, but when plugging them into the snapnaker machine it has no reaction to them. I am unable to press on the usb file icon in the lower right hand portion of the touchscreen.

Interestingly enough, the usb drive does still charge my camera that I have if I plug it in. I am now under the assumption that this issue has busted my ability to use the usb drive. I’ll be looking around to see if anyone else has had these types of usb issues.

I really appreciate the help Hauke. You’ve helped me gain a deeper understanding of my machine in the past few days. Hopefully these issues will come to an end soon!

3 Likes

Huh, interesting… never would have guessed that a defect in the 3DP head could cause this… unfortunately the USB-port not working might mean that your touchscreen controller has suffered. Fingers crossed that it did not.

I didn’t even think to consider it an issue with the single 3dp module until SM support brought it up. Looks like some replacement parts are in order. Thanks for your time helping with this strange issue.

After pulling apart the 3dp module, I noticed some fraying on the connection between the 3dp hotend kit and the circuit board inside. I wonder if this could be to blame for the short circuiting? At sone points it seems like this has been pressed up against the circuit board inside the module.

Sounds plausible to me - if it is frayed enough to show the internal metal wire. Another thing I had with my 3DP head was that the cable for the heatsink fan was jammed between the heatsink and the housing. Fortunately I realized this before it melted through the isolation… But I’d look for that also.

Ouch, glad you were able to find that before thibgs went south. Illinois keep an eye out for that as well. Thank you!