Easy way to switch build plates

I only picked the strips you see because AZ offered next-day delivery, and they were pretty thin.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Looks interesting! :slight_smile:

But be careful screwing the clamps into the CNC wasteboard… You can damage the heated bed with the screws.

1 Like

Right, which is why I leave the build plate on, which I advise.

What thickness is this product? That dimension is covered up in the pic.

I cannot tell if that is professional magnetic strips 6" x 1" x 0.08" … or 0.28", or 0.38"?

.08 seems very thin. And .28 seems very thick.

I’m brand new so please forgive the confusion. By “the build plate” what is meant? Is this a 3D print thing? Or CNC thing? Or engraver thing?

Is this brand the same as you bought? If so, I’m having trouble finding a product listing of the dimensions shown in the product pic above.

Update: I think I may have found the listing of the same product:

Yes, that’s the one. But again, not critical, I just went for cheap, thin. Also I want to be sure people understand I leave the print sheet on, it’s steel, so the mag strips stick to it, and it protects the heated bed. I’ve done laser and CNC using this, both worked fine.

Ah, I think I now understand. You remove the magnetic bed used for 3D, as it’s the part that has the heater in it, and you leave the sturdy metal bed that it’s normally attached to. Thank you so much. Great help!

Do you have an example of something you CNC milled using the magnetic attachement? I find it hard to believe that when CNCing there isnt enough lateral force to shift the magnetically attached wasteboard

I did the sample that came with the Snapmaker, the cell phone holder. Came out perfectly. I’m sure if you took heavy cuts, you could shift it, but a 1.5mm end mill doesn’t exert much force. It provides enough grip for what I’m doing, mostly text engraving on panels.

No, leave the magnetic bed that has the bed heater, leave the 3D print sheet, the magnets adhere to the print sheet.

Ah, thanks. I appreciate the helpful info!

I did this for laser, worked great! I bought enough magnet strips to also do CNC too! Will aim to get that tried soon.

That does sound like a great idea, i am concerned about the CNC but then again i dont use it yet. and we could always add extra clamping to the cnc table anyhow.

Thank you for sharing this idea.

@hoachter
One idea would be to stick the magnets oo thst all holes on the underside of tbe wasteboard are covered. Then you cannot damage the bed as the screw will meet the magnet and stop.

Good idea. I started this topic, and I’ll say I’ve used the magnetic strips for multiple CNC and laser jobs. Of course laser is no problem since the only force is bed movement. But, at least for me, CNC is fine also. Put enough strips on, the lateral hold force is good. You’re not going to get much lateral force from the small cut depths the head will do.

You obviously haven’t done much cnc. Reliefs are one thing where the bit is only contacting the surface. The force on deep cuts (12mm) against the grain in hardwoods like oak is significant even with smaller bits, let alone when using 1/4". I’ve had things clamped down where I thought the inserts were just about to pull out and still have had the piece shift.
Definitely would need a locking mechanism for me. Guess it all depends on what type of work you’re doing.
-S

I 'm amazed the spindle on the snapmaker can cut that deep. I’ve been cutting 4mm ply with no problem at all but using multiple passes. Oak? That’s a different story. It’s a pain to work even with ‘real’ tools, hard and splintery. Magnetic mounting works for me. If you don’t like it, don’t use it.

I have done something similar for the laser bed only so far.
I used an old “damaged” magnetic bed, laid down painters blue tape on it, then did the same to the back of the laser bed aluminium rails and then I glued them using wood glue and left them overnight. Now I have a super-fast removable bed and it’s rock steady. Plus it’s easily reversible as I only need to remove the tape - there is no glue on the actual plates! The Snapmaker team should have opted for this in the original design as it really adds a LOT of VALUE to the process.

3 Likes