Bed Support with Quick Release Kit

Ive just taken delivery of my quick release kit and im now designing how to integrate it with my bed support rails. Here is the first iteration which seems to work quite well.

The parts are 3d printed and contain some Neodymium Magnets which seem to hold the bed firmly.

Here’s a link to a couple of videos

4 Likes

Interesting, it’s not attached to the guide rails. It doesn’t rock at all??

I was thinking to get single hgr rail and put it in the middle, tie it to the middle carriage…

It’s not physically attached but there are strong magnets embedded in each part which holds them together. So there is no rocking. I think if you use a single centered rail you’d still get deflection in the four corners.

1 Like

The flex isn’t as much of a problem as the rocking of the platform. I was only concerned about rigidity of the 8020 20mm profile. But I think they have them in double.

Do you have magnets on the bed side too? How does it interact with 3d printing bed?

Yes, there are magnets on the bed side. I’m modeling the 3d Printed platform adaptors this weekend as I have the “old style” carriage. I’ll update you with the results. I’m still unsure about the Laser platform as it doesnt have a carriage but I’ll think of something.

2 Likes

This was smart thinking. I was wondering how to get around the Swap kit plus rails problem.
Even if you did not use magnets, using some V lock shaped printed parts attached to the bed like the previous rail mounts, plus some block mounts bolted to them that are higher than original, that slides in from the side would steady it and hold them in place.

I’m using the round rods. Here’s my solution: snapmaker quick swap riser blocks for linear mod by wrencher9 - Thingiverse

1 Like

Looks Good :+1:

That does make me look at the problem a little differently. I share Violent J’s distrust of magnets, having known them to fail precisely when it will be least convenient, but what might work for me is a T-slot on the linear-rail carriage, and then a T-bolt or T-nut affixed to the quickswappable bed. X-axis movement is prevented by the quickswap plate, and y-axis movement would be prevented by the T-slot (with some backlash at either extreme of travel that shouldn’t be problematic). I tend to make my parts in aluminum or steel if I can get away with it, as I trust 3D-printed parts (especially the ones that come out of my A350!) even less than magnets, and I think the T-slot approach would be pretty quick to try out.

I don’t think the laser bed will need any additional support. Tool height is not critical at all with a laser. At least not to the extent of the amount of play inherent with the laser bed. I chose not to address this on my A350.

Before I switched to an auminum extrusion bed, I bolted the laser bed to a piece if 1/4" MDF and bolted that to the CNC bed, I think using the four corner holes in the laser bed as pass-throughs. Worked well enough, and probably as fast as doing the quick-swap. Really not a fan of the laser bed :slight_smile: