Does Snapmaker support pause at layer?

I used Prusaslicer to add a “pause at layer” in the gcode then transferred it to SM for printing. However, it didn’t pause at all and finished til the end.

I thought if it’s in the Gcode then the machine should pause? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

From what I’ve read on the forums, it doesn’t. IIRC, you can use Cura to insert the pause GCode, but there is no UI on the controller to resume, so you’re stuck.

This might be old information though.

Correct. It should have paused with the right command, but there’s no way to resume it.
It’s been a much requested feature and rumored that the next firmware will include it.

-S

Thanks for the input. I was able to manually intervene and pause, but it requires good timing and patience… having a feature to pause will definitely be helpful.

1 Like

There’s an octoprint plugin that’ll let you do pauses

Thanks! I’ll look into octoprint. Just realized the software is written in Python, neat!! Will try to automate some of my print (if possible)!

Which gcode command did you refer to? We may not support the command.

You can pull a request on our GitHub repository.
https://github.com/Snapmaker/Snapmaker2-Controller/pulls

Cheers
Edwin

Ah, I was thinking of M600, not “pause at layer”. The octoprint plugin that enables it is Rewrite M600 - For M600 Unsupported

Looks like it just does some gcode when it sees an M600 (filament change):

M117 Filament Change
G91
M83
G1 Z{zDistance}
E-0.8 F4500
M82
G90
G1 X0 Y0

Then it waits for the user to hit resume in octoprint and hooks in some more custom gcode:

M83
G1 E-0.8 F4500
G1 E0.8 F4500
G1 E0.8 F4500
M82
G90
G92 E{comm_instance.pause_position.e}
M83
G1 X{comm_instance.pause_position.x} Y{comm_instance.pause_position.y} Z{comm_instance.pause_position.z} F4500

Looks like it gets those comm_instance variables by calling the octoprint pause, which pauses the print and stores the current data.

This plugin should work perfectly fine though for any instance of “pause the print so I can do something to it” (I’m assuming @iwannasee wants to maybe put magnets in the print or something).

Snapmaker Firmware supports the command M600, without any parameters.

Examples

With no parameters [ M600 ] uses the settings in Configuration.h .

M600 ; execute filament change

Once M600 is executed, the machine will let users to change the filament. This feature will be added in the next version of Snapmaker firmware.

Cheers
Edwin

1 Like

@Edwin is there an estimated time frame for the next machine firmware update?

I was told that tests have completed. The next firmware update is about to be released in mid-May.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Edwin

Sounds great, thank you for the update.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, looking forward to the new firmware update!

Please use M600 to pause in layers.

Snapmaker firmware V1.12.1

Guide for M600

Cheers
Edwin

1 Like

@Edwin , will M600 be back ported to the Original firmware?

Not yet. M600 can be used with Snapmaker Firmware 1.12.1 or later version.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edwin

M600 would be a welcome upgrade.
Now it would be nice if Luban would show or give a status on a layer that the SM2 is printing or allow users to see individual layers after it slices things to help me identify which layer is best for the pause (M600) to be inserted.

1 Like

We will add the feature to allow users to change filament color in individual layers. It may come out with Snapmaker Luban 3.16.

Edwin

slàinte (SLAHN****-chə)
All the best to you!

1 Like

This feature is in the request pool and we will try to add it in Snapmaker Luban V3.16.

Edwin