Does Snapmaker and Luban allow for CNC tool change?

Hello All,

I am looking to get some questions answered about the CNC function. In college (2.5 years ago) I did a lot of part design for manufacturing through CNC. Though we mostly did aluminum on a large HAAS machine I feel the principles apply well to SM and would be beneficial. My main question is can SM and Luban work with G-Code from Fusion 360 if there is a command to change tools? Would the program stop allow me to manually change the tool and continue on? Or do I need to have separate G-Code files for each tool? This would add a lot of complexity and time with re-finding the work piece homer and making sure they match up. Can anyone provide feedback? I am still waiting for my machine to arrive but I would like some answers now. I really don’t want to be doing all my carving with a 1mm diameter flat end mill.

Thanks in advanced for reading this and providing your feedback.

Alec

Tool change is not supported right now. Probably never.
I think this is very complex in firmware, because of handling the controller with the touchscreen.
@Edwin @JKC20

Hi,

I can answer jusf few of the questions, which you are asking. Based on the experience which I made till now.

• Or do I need to have separate G-Code files for each tool? - I did it this way, I tried the change of tool in program, but this does not work. As, there will be not the same Z position of the tool, then you need to readjust this as the new origin point. When I created programs, I splitted it in the logical way and keep the starting and ending X-Y posiiton the same.
    I have done some PCB designs till now and changed engraving tool with 2 different drills and then 1,5 flat end mill. The smallest part which I made was 4,3x4,3mm and the result was quite OK for me.

Hope that this will help a bit.
Only problem which I have experienced was the engraving, setting of the proper height of the tool for 0,15 engrawing depth was quite chalenging due to paralelity of the axis and flexibility of the material which I was milling.

Milan

Thanks for your response. I’m glad to hear you have had some good success with the separate G-code files. I will keep this in mind when I am designing my parts and generating the machine path!

It works fine setting separate g-code for each bit. In fusion 360 it’s easy to do this.
The only tricky part is your z-axis origin. If the z-origin doesn’t get carved it’s easy. If it does you have to measure from a different point. Or use same thickness material off the piece. Or use a caliper and measure bit length from collet and calculate. Or use a straight edge across the piece and calculate the offset. Just make sure you don’t change the x and y.

-S

forgive me if this is a stupid idea, i’m new to CNC carving, but wouldn’t adding proximity sensors (like the capacitive one on the extruder head) help solve the Z offset issue? then all you would need to know is the probe offset for each tool head? and i feel like that could be calibrated at the start of each run or set manually in the G code. please correct me if i’m way off base.