CNC Mill Tool Change

I’m doing a project with a 1/4" end mill for adaptive clearing and then would like to change to a 1/16" ball end mill for some finishing passes. Could someone explain how Snapmake 2.0 can be setup to pause a gcode script, change tools, enter a new work origin (tool length changes) and then resume? I’ve been modeling in Fusion360 and would prefer to stay in that platform if possible, but I would be comfortable editing gcode file as well.

Some command combos I’ve been exploring are M0 M108 for stop/resume. Does the controller LCD show a resume button if M0 is entered or do you need a M117? Do you need to label tools in the gcode after changing T1 then T2?

Any suggestions would help.

1 Like

I would do it in two steps one gcode for clearing and one for endmill with the same work origin.

2 Likes

I was also wondering that, and came here to se if anyone else had a solution.

I did some testing, just milling a cube with some rounded edges. I programmed fusion with different tools and was very supprised when the Snapmaker didn’t pause automatically when it came to the path with a new tool. I took it for granted that this was something that the system would do.

Sending the different operations to the mashin in two steps like Bilzer suggest is probably a valid solution, but you’ll have to be very presice with the work origin to not mess this up.

Hope snapmaker comes up with a better solution.