Discussion of Snapmaker 2.0 Firmware Updates

Saw that comment earlier, but this was only one jump forward. I got the SM a month ago, and updated the FW to 1.10.1 as one of the first things I did (I think it might have been 1.10.0 out of the box), and then went to 1.11.4 over wifi, and the issues started there. Were others further behind?

Yes the firmware goes back further. They install the latest firmware, but as to whether or not they install them by doing them all in order is up for debate and highly unlikely.

Same issue here. The new firmware seems to have a bug in that everytime I start up the machine I have to re-enter my wifi password. It doesn’t seem to remember/save wifi login creds. Anyone else experiencing this?

I meant, before V1.11.4, which version were you at ?

I never had this wifi, axis and heating issues.
My last firmware was 1.10.1 or so.

There are several topics in the forum about linear module problems and wifi issues.

1 Like

That doesn’t really make sense tbh. Sure there might be settings saved in the memory that need to be reset. But there’s no reason that that would be “solved” by upgrading step by step. It’s always a full firmware flash as far as I know. No incremental updates.

For the controller part I’ve been playing with custom firmware and moving back to stock etc and never had any problems.

1 Like

I recently had to reinstall Snapmaker Luban (on a Mac). I made sure to delete the “hidden” SM Luban directory as well and it looks like now it remembers the wifi connection
 Just deleting the program folder does not seem to be enough
 I assume the same is true for other OS

It’s possible it’s not a complete firmware flash if they aren’t using the current versions source code to implement changes, if they’re using the same base source code for implementation of changes they would try to keep settings of the previous versions by instructing the firmware to only flash the parts it’s replacing. If this is the case there is high potential of coding conflict with other sections of the existing code, rendering problems. This is a method that has not been in favor, ever. Now I’m not saying this is the case, I’m only saying don’t count it out as a possibility. I am currently recovering from double bilateral arm and wrist surgery’s, I’m going to test this once I’m recovered.

That’s not how it does it. It does a full flash of the program memory every time.

It would be possible to not modify, or partially modify the settings database, but I understand that also does not happen, and if there is a schema change the entire settings database is reset to defaults.

I did say I wasn’t sure, as I haven’t checked it myself, only that it’s a possibility. I didn’t know if it was a multi flashROM or not. Thank you for verifying.

I know, wasn’t saying otherwise. I have checked it though, and that’s the answer as I understand it. If you ever want to check it here’s a good place to start: https://github.com/Snapmaker/Snapmaker2-Controller/blob/78b7d6e23bebd8f126088fe4709050590912a7ab/snapmaker/src/service/upgrade.cpp#L111

The controller receives the entire firmware binary from the touchscreen, and then writes it to flash in order. There’s nothing in the controller code that would allow it to selectively overwrite certain bytes. Also, this is corroborated by the firmware compilation process - there is nothing in the compiler that would allow the compiler to only generate changed bytes, it generates an entire binary everytime.

None of this necessarily applies to the EEPROM though. I think what I said earlier is likely correct, but I don’t have a code line to point to.

After the new Firmware update, the laser module shows 71 hours to comple a job, which actually took only 2 hours, I tried again with another job and it gives a ridiculous time (in hours) when it should take only minutes, please have a look at this issue.

Hi, after the latest firmware update to Snapmaker2_V1.11.4 the Laser working times are totally wrong, they show several hours and they keep going down in minutes, they change very often and show a time which is really far away from reallity.
Hope you can fix this bug please.

Yeah I think I’m going to stick with 1.9

1 Like

Firmware 1.12.0, found following “bug” @Alan :
Turning the enclosure fan or light on, only brings M1010 S3 P100 (light) or M1010 S4 P100 (fan)
This means the light or fan only runs with about 40% because the max input in this case is 255.

Additional there is an infinite echo about the state in the terminal (connected over USB) and the echo of the light shows the echo of the fan.

2 Likes

I had a similar problem with the bed leveling especially when trying to do some CNC work.
I started measuring the heights of the bed mounting plates(the metal frame before attaching anything else) and I found the one side much higher than the other side.
After a lot of measuring, I finally disassembled the Snapmaker 2, Measured the total height of all the Linear modules. I then used the 2 that is the closest to each other as the Y-Axis and bolted them down.
I then matched the next two and used it as the Z-Axis and the last one as the X-Axis.

My bed is now out by a max of 0.04 mm from 0.9mm.

Hello,
Would it be possible to update firmware to show a current build height on the touch screen?

Hi xchrisd,

P100 should be 100% as we define in M1010, I will follow this issue and test it later, thanks for the feedback.

And the “infinite echo” issue, I think maybe it causes by the controller, will pass to my colleague to check out what’s going on.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

Regards,
Alan

1 Like

I have experienced the same. By the first sight the interior lightning was dimmer to me, then I was able to see spinning of the CNC motor spindle and the exhaust FAN blades (probably the PWM frequency is interfere with those RPMs?)

There is a pending pull request on the public GitHub for this, looks like it will be fixed pretty soon. Nice