Connect Via Wifi

It would be nice to have an option to not have to go to the Snapmaker 2 and approve the wifi connection if you are on the same network. Having to do that interrupts the remote use of the machine from multiple computers especially if your computer is not right next to the Snapmaker 2.

15 Likes

Thx, that is a nice proposal!
Maybe we will apply this opinion to snapmaker luban in the next version.

1 Like

I would say, instead of auto approve any device on the same network (or as another option in addition to), still require authorization for the first connection, but offer the ability to remember so that it does not prompt again when reconnecting from the same system.

3 Likes

Also have a way to start a print remotely as well as monitor the progress of the print.

Good points.

There is another thing some of us would probably love to get. As it’s heavily related I add it here too.

Please add a way to connect do a printer by entering it’s IP address or hostname. Automatic discovery (I assume it’s MDNS) does not work across subnets and my printer is not in the same subnet as the main computer.

Thanks for considering.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions.

Requiring authorization is to avoid multi PCs connecting to the printer at the same time.
"Remember this computer " sounds great. It is a good option, we will consider it and maybe update in the futrure.

@thomasl Could you tell us more about your network info?

1 Like

@Alan: Sure :slightly_smiling_face:. As there are quite a few (untrusted) IoT devices in my home network I decided to build a dedicated network for them. This network is connected to the main network using a firewall.

The automatic discovery does not seem to work through the firewall so I need a way to enter the IP address manually to connect from Snapmaker Luban to the printer.

Would be nice to have a simple SAMBA share for transferring files to the Snapmaker.

2 Likes

Hi thomasl,

Thanks for the reply.

The Snapmaker Luban would discover Snapmaker 2 printer if they are both in the same network, maybe it’s not working if the network is subnetting, apologies for the inconvenience.

I think it would be great if Snapmaker Luban can support this feature by entering IP address manually, please stay tuned :grinning:.

2 Likes

Thanks for looking into it.
I’m also a SnapMaker Original owner and I know how much SnapmakerJS evolved the last years. Looking forward to see many great additions :slight_smile:

Hi guys.

Just joined this forum as I received my A250 last week and finally got it set up and printing 3d stuff great. However, can the guys not have a preference setting on the printer to remember your choices for connecting to your wifi and also automatically starting a print?
This could easily be added as a preference setting.

Not all of us are using the Snapmakers in schools etc and are individual users with the printer located in another room and it’s frankly a pain in the ass to have to go each time I turn the machine on to go out to my upstairs room and then come back downstairs twice for the wifi and print cofirmations. Once the choices are set, the printer really should remember them. I always prepare my printers beforehand so it should be my responsibility to check I have everything set up and ready to print/cut/engrave etc instead of forcing me to confirm this EVERY TIME.

Thanks!

5 Likes

it’s frankly a pain in the ass to have to go each time I turn the machine on to go out to my upstairs room and then come back downstairs twice for the wifi and print cofirmations

Oh yes, I’m in the same boat. Please fix this SM! Make the prompts optional.

3 Likes

I’m getting the same thing. The router can see the SM and give it an IP address, but I cannot connect from my Mac or Pc.

The SM is upstairs, my Mac is downstairs.

And for what it’s worth, I’ve been looking for a comprehensive Luban User Manual. Still looking.

1 Like

It doesn’t reply to pings, either.

Finally got it to connect. I had to reconnect to the router, and mistype the password and then reconnect again with the correct password.

Now I’m able to see it in Luban and connect.

And run upstairs and downstairs each time, to accept the connection, and when trying to upload a model.

1 Like

@thomasl - there is a way to do this, at least with SM 2.0…

./multicast-relay.py --interfaces br0 br1 --relay 255.255.255.255:20054

Are you still considering adding an option to remember a computer for wifi connections and to be able to start printing remotely? My Snapmaker is 2 floors away from my computer, but I’ve configured a camera system so I can observe it while I work on my computer, and have connected it to a smart plug so I can turn it on remotely. The only thing keeping me from living the dream of completing my project in Luban and immediately starting to print, and move on the next object, is my 8 flights of stairs required to tap the screen twice! Would very much appreciate this feature adjustment :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@chimera388 You and I seem to have a very similar setup. I guess this is below lowest priority for Snapmaker to sort out. I posted this thread in September, it’s now January 2021 and still not a peep…

2 Likes

+1 on getting rid of the authentication for us home users. Good for my step count running back and forth, bad for Snapmaker UX.

2 Likes

Hehe yeah it should be optional at least

3 Likes