CNC in thin air with FreeCAD

Hello, I’m about to pull my hair out because I can’t figure out a problem with carving something. I am a beginner so I suspect that it is a simple problem that I can’t see.
I am using freecad to create the g-code (freecad v0.19, with the snapmaker post processor copied) and on the screen everything looks as it should be. However, when I copy the file to the machine via USB, it starts carving in thin air. I tried to measure it and it seems to be the height of the material that should be removed. The origin is the top of the (final) piece so I don’t understand why it doubles the height to be removed.
I would like to add the freecad file here, but it won’t let me as I am not worthy yet.
Grateful for any help provided.

To me it seems like your gcode Expects the root to be on the wasteboard.

You can’t have an origin on the top of the final piece if there is height to be removed. The origin on the model in FreeCAD has to be where you set the origin on Snapmaker with the end of the tool when you set up the job. most people set the origin in software and on Snapmaker on the top of the stock at the centre or bottom left.

2 Likes