Camera during laser

So I’m new to this, but after watching tutorials about the camera capture, it gets a little frustrating. I am under the impression due to the tutorials that when you use camera capture you should be able to overlay your design on the object to be engraved/cut and it will work that way. Is this not true? Everytime I try it, the image is in the left top area and even if I move the image, the work takes place way off the base. Am I doing something wrong?

That’s how camera capture works. The background image goes in the upper right corner of the Luban screen. 0,0 on the grid is the work origin and that corresponds with the front left corner of the laser bed. You might be able to move the background image, but then it will no longer represent the position of the workpiece on your laser bed.

Here’s the confusing part: Luban treats 0,0 on the grid as the work origin and puts the camera image in the top right quadrant, but the Snapmaker controller defaults to the work origin being at the center of the bed.

If you use camera capture, you can use the play button on the Luban workspace screen to control the laser and it will run in the position shown. But if you send the by WiFi, over USB, or put it on a USB drive and open it from the touchscreen, then the Snapmaker controller is in charge and it will treat the center of the laser bed as the work origin. If you do this, then you will need to move the laser head to the front left corner of the laser bed to machine coordinates 0,0 and set the work origin there.

If you’re not going to use camera capture, then it’s better to place your artwork relative to the work origin being at the center of the bed. If you want to set the work origin at the center of your work piece then center the artwork on 0,0. If you want to set your work origin at the bottom left corner of your work piece then place your artwork with the bottom left corner at 0,0. (You could also use the top right corner, or any other feature that you want.) Then when you start the job from the touchscreen you can press the run boundary button and adjust the work origin if needed.

1 Like

I am still confused. For 3d printing the origin is front left 0,0 right? So why is it that when setting up the laser you are asked to set it at the centre of the bed? Why not front left?
So far to be honest I have found it easier to just use the camera, place my work on the image, and launch from luban, which also allows me to stop the job or pause it. It does tend to disconnect all the time though, but the job does not stop so I guess it must still be sending gcode even though it is reporting that it is disconnected.