Bass wood sheet - where to?

Hi,
I just got my new Snapmaker 2.0. 350 With the snapmaker I got Materials Bundle. I would like to buy wood sheets for engraving and cutting with laser, but on online shop I found just 8x8 cm sheets, I need 30x30. Where is the best online shop for these materials in Europe?
Thanks for help

I’m in USA so take this with a grain of salt… but the only place I have been able to find sheets that are thin enough to cut with the laser is Amazon. And those are not the best quality (lots of warped pieces)

Good luck
-Atom

Assuming any wood is good . . . You’re going to have trouble finding anything but plywood that’s 30cm wide. When you add in the thickness of the bark layer, shrinkage during drying, and the amount they have to shave off the sides to square the board, you realize you need a pretty good-sized tree to get anything that big. The most commonplace thing you’re going to find that’s 30cm square and thin enough is going to be baltic birch plywood.

The Inventables Shop is in the US, but ships internationally, and stocks plywood and some types of hardwood thin enough to be laser cut (you want 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch thickness—1/8" is about 3mm). They have plywood in your size range (12 x 12 inches), but max out at ~15cm x 30cm for hardwood.

Real lumber yards in general don’t seem to be given to selling direct to the consumer on-line. You might be able to find one local to you that will sell over the phone, though. I’m aware of one that does sell on-line ( Woodworker’s Source ), but again, they’re US-based and ship to Europe for (possibly quite a lot of) money. They have the same birch plywood as Inventables, but most of their hardwood stock is likely too thick to be conveniently laser-cut (although you could use the CNC head to plane it down first, I guess).

Another place you might want to check is hobby shops that deal heavily in model/remote control airplanes, as that’s one of the major uses for that thin birch plywood—they may stock it or be able to order it for you.

Last-ditch option would be the local hardware store, who might have precut panels or planks intended for some specific purpose, like small shelves.

As Atom said, good luck. Maybe someone else will have more European-specific information.

1 Like

In US, craft stores like Hobby Lobby & Michaels have a limited assortment of bass, balsa and plywood.
-S

1 Like