Ask Me About Rotary Module Here

That’s not what the manual says (that says you FIRST have to install the v1.12 firmware before connecting the new modules), but it works and that is what counts :slight_smile:

For who needs to do this as well, these are the steps:

download latest firmware (at the bottom of the page) to a USB flash drive
Insert the USB flash drive into your Snapmaker (in the controller, last plug at the bottom)
Turn on the machine
Swipe left on the Touchscreen > Tap Files > Tap USB > Tap the firmware file to update.

While it is loading the firmware update, it will show there are updates loaded for modules. And that is what you need!

Agreed, unfortunately. There was a post on the forum about it though that I remembered:

I’ve been playing around with some STL models in Luban 3.14 to learn how it works, and I noticed that it will leave areas uncut if it cannot access them with a straight-on cut. Here’s what Luban will do:

Here’s what the model should look like.

How can we get it to eliminate that material between the outer edges of the model and the interior edges of the model. Most of the model would be accessible with a swarf type cut.

Do you have the slicing mode set to rotation or linkage?
I’m guessing rotation. Try linkage and it should be able to reach much more if not all of that model.
-S

Ah…that may be the problem. I’ll try that. Thanks.

Ok, switching to Linkage did not fix the issue. It seems somewhat better, but only marginally. If anyone wants to try it, I’m using the “mando_full” model from here (rotated and scaled down):

1 Like

When you simulate the model in Snapmaker Luban, the previewing module will not show the hollowed area, because emulation can consume a lot of computer memory, which can cause software crash.

If you observe the toolpath of the model, you can see that the area between the legs is hollowed out.

The model is the same as that one in the promotional advertisement when you select “Linkage.”

In addition, as Yoda and the Mandalorian are separate, I think this work would be a failure to a large extend.

Cheers
Edwin

1 Like

Thanks, Edwin. I was using the model without Yoda, but I will look at the tool paths more carefully to see if it is hollowing out between the legs. I’m looking forward to playing with the rotary module.

Where can we purchase more of the cylindrical tooling board material like the pieces that shipped with the 4th axis?

Cheers
Edwin

I’ve managed to damage the Straight Groove V-bit that was included with the rotary module. I’ve been looking for replacement bits, but have been unable to find anything that is similar. Can you point to a supplier where we could source replacements (at least until Snapmaker offers them)?

Thanks!

yeah i complained to someone already about the written instructions not stating that you must not install the tailstock if you are using the automated origin assist. it broke my bit I was very upset. I found these bits on amazon I received them today and they are nice 30 deg 60 and 90 right here 10 in a pack you must select the deg of the tip these are also .1mm

I also purchased these they are a 60 deg .1mm super sharp too dont ask how i know

1 Like

Really like the tooling board I wish I could find the 35-60 mm diameter.

to answer a few questions stl’s work with he rotary. Their is a very good tutorial on vcarves website that explains how to use vcarve to wrap and unwrap the stl into a flat usable file. Think of it like this the software must take the stl and make a flat gray scale out of the stl. The software must try to make it so the bit can get to the bits and pieces. I have noticed a lot of files end up having a ton of under cutting or spots that the bit will not cut. I think it is just part of the files I am looking into but it is what it is. luban was not doing a very good job with any stl I threw at it. but it was working. kudos to snapmaker it didn’t work when it was in beta.

Thanks for your response. I found those options, but they both fall short in both the overall length and the cutting length on the tool. I’m hoping for something a bit closer to the original (50mm length with a full inch of cutting length).

1 Like

I’ve gotten my Rotary Module Combo. Excited to use it!

I know it’s a steep learning curve, and to be frank, I’m WAY down at the bottom in the beginning of that learning curve. (With the rest of the SM2 capabilities as well.)

My question is specific to the SM2 RM. If I’m running with a design for either the CNC or the Laser, can the module be set to be constrained to a set arc around the center, not crossing the “forbidden” area? If so, how would I go about doing so?

For example: If the material I have has a cross section of a teardrop, and I only want to laser engrave the side of the material that is made up by the lower half of the teardrop, how do I set the SM2 RM to stop the module from trying to pass by the “top part” of the teardrop shape? (And colliding with that part of the material.)

If my example doesn’t make sense, please let me know.

One other question, I saw the video of making the backlit SM logo. It’s a great vid for some slightly more advanced skills than true beginner. Do you have any suggestions for some resources that are more toward the beginner level.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Marc Spencer

Read this review about the Rotary Module, written by Gerwin Sturm.

Users can find STL file for the Rotary Module via this link, and I guess you guys will love it.
https://www.myminifactory.com/scantheworld/?fbclid=IwAR3cVi2Qan6VSxuGU6W5-j3voeCYjWllwq_VLaEeNLGYUhu3rgQFedAhxf8

2 Likes

The outward clamping dimensions are not correct. This was confirmed via Zero Zhao at Snapmaker support. The video will be updated, but the correct maximum outward clamping dimension is 82mm. I’m not sure how this was missed.

1 Like

Thank you for your reminder.

I was told by Zero and the correct information will be updated.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Edwin