Artisan dual extruder issue with PVA

Hi,

does anyone have any experience using PVA (water solvable) filament in the artisan?

I have the temperature set to 220 (as per filement manufacturer) and while in ‘hold’ mode it cools to 165. The bed set to 60 degrees.

The first few layers print ok, but after a few layers the filement gets stuck. After cleaning the cogs etc. the PVA comes out ‘stringy’…

What am I doing wrong (hope you experts know)?

Same thing is happening on my a350. I dont have any advice yet, because im still struggling with it.

i think its partially related to cooling and partially related to the fact that it is relatively flexible and so doesnt get a good “push”

Never touched pva, but somewhere I saw a guy replacing the spring (a350, single extruder) that pushes the wheel against filament with a spring from a pen. This solved his issues with you clogging.

1 Like

220° is too hot.

I printed a whole roll so far, 205° is ideal, at least for the original Snapmaker PVA.
Which brand are you using, not every pva is the same.

It needs to be very dry. And retract at extruder change must not be more than 2mm, otherwise it gets tangled in the extruder gear.

Hi,

I am using PVA from gembird. Manufacturer states 220 degrees, but I’ll try your 205 tip this afternoon and see if that solves the issue.

https://gembird.com/item.aspx?id=12404

Kindly let us know if it improves your prints as well.
Thanks.

Hello all, just got my Artisan in last week and have it up and running. main problem i am having that i cannot figure out is trying to print with PVA for support. i get strigging out of the nozzle when not in use, which leads to failed connections when the device tries to shift from PLA to PVA printing.

I have tried lower temps (190-200F), and increasing retraction (2mm). my main issue now is that i cannot seem to get the PVA to adhere to the baseplate when i start the print to see if the other settings are working. i even tried using a PLA Raft, and the PVA still does not adhere.

PVA brand is: Fused Materials/Transparent filament

Anybody else use this filament successfully? is there a better/reliable brand? settings i should consider? any help is appreciated.

Hi all.

Same problem here.
I tried it with3 different brands on both hot-ends.

• REAL PVA bed 45 Celcius hot-end 200 Celcius
  • REAL PVA+ bed 45 Celcius hot-end 240 Celcius
  • 123-3d PVA Jupiter series bed 40 Celcius hot-end 195 Celcius

After a few layers the filament transport stops. The filament seems to get stuck just before the transport in the hot aerea (heating element)
No problems with other materials. (PLA - ToughPLA - PLA+)

I also use a Ultimaker S5 printer. This uses a special hot-end for PLA.
Maybe this is the problem with the Snapmaker Artisan.

I mean a special hot-end for PVA!

To add my 5 cent: Have eSun PVA, and got it successfully printing at 190°C (lowest temp the manufacturer recommends - articles on PVA say: Try to stay as low as you can, because PVA can get burnt when too hot and then clogs your nozzle). Bed adhesion was a problem - when I cleaned the bed with Isopropanol, PVA would not stick to the bed at all. Used dishwashing soap + water to clean the bed and set the nozzle very low, squishing the PVA on the bed, that worked.

My current problem: It oozes like hell! Despite using a wipe tower, PVA gets mixed with the PLA and causes defects. Have to figure that out… Also, the print gets rough at the places it connects with PVA - the surface looses its smoothness. I guess I will re-slice and limit PVA to touch only really necessary parts.

Another hint: use petg as a support material for pla and pla as a support material for petg wherever it is possible. It will get you the best results.