Anyone add TL Smoother to their servo motors (SM1)?

I have narrowed it down to Moire issues with either my extruder or x/y axis. Has anyone added TL Smoother to their servo motors?

https://www.amazon.com/BIQU-TL-Smoother-Elimination-Clipping-Controller/dp/B0727QT316

I have tried everything else and this is the last resort. I can change the pattern of the Moire by rotating the part but I think this is the servo motors doing this.

Do you know what type of stepping controller is built into the machine?
Here is a little information about tl smoothers

The SM1 has A4988 Stepper controllers and will improve with TL Smoother.
Already know their value/improvement.

Iā€™m asking if anyone here has attempted it yet or am I the first.

I have the stepper pinout for the RJ25ā€¦ Just want to know if someone has tried.

I havenā€™t seen anything like that on any of my prints. Iā€™ve used Snapmaker3D, SnapmakerJS, and Cura to slice, with similar print qualities. I generally print using the ā€œHigh Qualityā€ setting (copied to Cura), but havenā€™t had seen anything like that the few times Iā€™ve used ā€œFast Printā€.

What slicer and settings are you using? I see from your posting history that youā€™re familiar with Cura, customized your print settings, and asked how fast you can push the extruder. I wonder if youā€™ll have the same results using Luban and a slower stock print setting.

I use Prusa, Cura, Simplify3Dā€¦ but no longer use SnapmakerJS. This problem is really bad in VASE mode and single walls (as in the picture). Once I do Inside to Outside walls it really does not show much. I have even re-compiled my projects in Fusion360 to use lower and higher quality to see if triangle count changes the effectā€¦ Nothing

I adjusted Jerk/Acceleration, all Calibrations are spot on (Steps, Extrusion Mult/Rate) and dimensionally items are spot onā€¦ Donā€™t really push my printer much past 75% of recommended speeds. Also tried linear advanced (iā€™m a metal CNC Programmer so I research and try every available options). I currently use Octoprint to feed my machine (also tried USB Stick and USB/PC Connection).

I have turned on/off one item at a time for just about everything and done test runs to see what happens. I can shrink the effect but itā€™s still there.

So the only thing I have not tried yetā€¦ is a TL Smoother.

Now I do have one item to try tonight which is rounding up my E-Steps to an even number and remove the decimals to see if this is an additive problem where it adds up and then rounds up one skipping a step.

I think itā€™s worth a test using SnapJS / Luban just to see if itā€™s software or hardware. If you can get a smooth print using the defaults, then you know that you can fix the issue without a hardware modification.

Which isnā€™t to say that the smoothers wonā€™t be a useful upgrade. Iā€™m not advanced enough to weight in on that. I just know that when Iā€™m debugging something complex, going back to stupid-simple can help me figure out if/how/why Iā€™m shooting myself in the foot. :smiley:

I never had this print picture even with 100mm/s at square parts with sm1.
(tried fast printing at the beginning of my 3d printing experience)

I would say you have a defective machine,- if you are under warranty you should tell the supportā€¦

TL Smoothers are a good solution, saw the article of ALL3DP in the newsletter.- Very interesting but i thought there is surely a tl smoother built in the sm1, because of the fine print pictureā€¦

May you upload your gcode to double check?

not defective as i print multi-wall items and they are smooth and do not show this. This only happen on single wall or vase mode prints

Here is a close up of a cylinder tool (Oā€™Ring Installation Tool/Bullet) and the surface is clean and no Moire. Did have a couple of drag marks but very smooth.

Watched a You-Tube on the A4988 servo chip and it does in fact studder ever so slightly when moving.

Here is the video of the issue.

1 Like

I tried to print as vase and the problem also happened. But it looks different from the picture you posted. I guess modify settings in the software can help in this issue.

Maybe you can post the g-code and settings for printing here so that I can make a try on it.