A question of scale

I was considering trying to print the Digital Sundial from Thingiverse [https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2585946] and soon realized when importing it into JS that it is much too big for the Snapmaker. I would have to scale it down about 50%.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this, and whether it would still be functional. Perhaps the tiny apertures would be too small.

Thanks.

1 Like

This sundial shows the time correctly only every 20 minutes and in between only nonsense. Scaling the object down would be one possibility.
Normally, deviding in 2 or more parts would not be a problem with the “Ideamaker” for example, but with this watch you have to remember that the course of the sunbeams inside the watch is not hindered.

Diese Sonnenuhr zeigt nur alle 20 Minuten die Zeit richtig an und zwischendurch nur Unfug. Das Objekt herunterskalieren wÀre eine Möglichkeit.
Normalerweise wĂ€re das Teilen zum Beispiel mit dem “Ideamaker” kein Problem, aber bei dieser Uhr muss daran gedacht werden, dass der Gang der Sonnenstrahlen nicht behindert wird.

You can see that on the far right only a zero can be displayed.
If you import the STL file into SketchUp, you can check it yourself.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply,

I’ll have to take this under consideration. I have a number of more important prints to make first however.

I only use the Maker version of Sketchup and am not sure if it can import STL files. If you scale the size down to 50% in Sketchup, does it still projekt a readable display?

The question is about the printability.
With 50% scale all the walls are 50 thinner too.

1 Like

I thinks that’s kind of what I was wondering. The file is an STL which will be imported into the slicer which re-specifies the wall thickness and if the scale is halved, then might the apertures be effectively closed?

Any slicer can scale. Sketchup I have only recommended to test the unsatisfactory function of the clock.
There are several plugins for Sketchup that allow the import and export of STL files. https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/sketchup-stl
Other plugins can import other 3D formats such as object files. The Sketchup version does not matter most of the time. However, the 64bit versions are recommended, because the import of large Stl files can take more than a day. If you then think that Sketchup crashed, you can convince yourself with the Windows Taskmanager that Sketchup is still working.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Skalieren kann jeder Slicer. Sketchup habe ich nur empfohlen, um die unbefriedigende Funktion der Uhr zu testen.
Es gibt mehrere Plugins fĂŒr Sketchup, die den Import und Export von STL-Files ermöglichen. Andere Plugins können andere 3D-Formate wie zum Beispiel Obj-Files importieren. Die Sketchup-Version spielt meistens keine Rolle. Zu empfehlen sind aber die 64bit-Versionen, weil der Import von großen Stl-Files mehr als einen Tag dauern kann. Wer dann denkt, dass Sketchup abgestĂŒrzt ist, der kann sich mit dem Windows-Taskmanager ĂŒberzeugen, dass Sketchup sehr wohl noch arbeitet.

Right - some details are very small !

This “in between only nonsense” is actually the most interesting part of this shadow play. As I said, the project is not suitable as a clock, but how about the shadow showing a nonsense chaos of lights all day long, and suddenly the stroke “High Noon” appears at 12 noon? I think that would be a good surprise.
Another suggestion: “Menetekel” in the sunset.
Overall, I find the project interesting - but it’s not suitable for watches.
Normal, analog sundials were more accurate than any mechanics or our stupid summer/winter time.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Dieses “in between only nonsense” ist eigentlich der interessanteste Teil dieses Schattenspieles. Als Uhr taugt das Projekt wie gesagt nicht, aber wie wĂ€re es, wenn der Schatten den ganzen Tag unsinniges Chaos von Lichtern zeigt, und plötzlich erscheint um 12 Uhr der Schriftzug “High Noon”?. Ich meine, dass das eine gute Überraschung wĂ€re.
Anderer Vorschlag: “Menetekel” im Abendrot.
Insgesamt finde ich das Projekt interessant - nur fĂŒr Uhren taugt es nicht.
Normale, analoge Sonnenuhren gingen bei den alten Römern schon genauer als jede Mechanik oder unsere bescheuerte Sommer/Winterzeit.