1.6 w laser keeps starting at -300,-300 when using Luban, fine if 'send to device'

I know the answer is ‘ok, just go touch the touch screen’ but I plan to have my snapmaker in a physically separate room from me and I want to just send specific laser jobs to it. When I hit ‘start on luban’ the prints all seem to start at the bottom left corner, even off the laser diode section and onto the metal below the platform. It works fine when I start it from the touch screen, so I’m guessing it’s my settings in Luban???

Can anyone tell me a setting I may be missing? I have the job right now set to start at 0,0.

Edit - I’m using latest luban software on MacBook m1, and the unit is A350 (not T) and it’s using the latest firmware (I just updated to see if that was the problem).

Are you positioning the piece using the camera view? That’s the only way I’ve been able to ensure the piece is printing in the right position when using Luban to do the print.

I am having this issue as well. Specifically, amy new files that are sent to the machine for laser printing. In luban, if I use the image import method, the settings are returned for the full size of the bed and grayed out so that I cannot change them back to the work area. I am very new to this so it might have been beginners luck on the first few engravings. I wanted to add, I moved the object to what for me is the upper right corner and what it did engrave was very tiny and illegible. This is with the 10w laser, no problems with the 1.6w.

Keep in mind how the origin functionally works. All your projects are going to be started from 0,0, and where you set that on the machine is going to determine where the project starts.

In Luban, the way they do the “work origin” selection is misleading, as it only changes what is displayed on the screen. You can position anything on them to get the exact same result.

This:

Is functionally the same as this:

Note the position in the upper right is exactly the same. The center 0,0 is where the laser is, that’s where you’d set origin on the touchscreen. In the workspace in Luban, this position as it relates to the bed is not clear, and it’s pretty crap they do this.

On the touchscreen, when you start a file locally, it ALWAYS sets the default origin to the center of the bed, basically putting 0,0 at the center of the bed. Afterwards, you move the machine around and set origin, now THAT location is 0,0. The Snapmaker REMEMBERS THIS so if you try to start your next project in say, Luban. Your 0,0 is still at that odd position you placed it, since it didn’t reset by going back through the origin process.

However; If you use the camera capture function, then Luban will set the 0,0 origin at the lower left corner of the bed. That’s why it seems to work fine with camera capture, but fails without. If you want to use the center of the bed again, you will need to reset the work origin. Since it, again, remembers that work origin so unless you’re still using that exact location, will need to be reset.

You can easily make a macro for this in Luban. While this is for the 10W laser, you can find the center of the bed with the 1.6W by opening any project and after it centers on the bed (for you to jog and set your origin), look at the “Machine Coordinates” and note those down. Tap the add macro button (the + at the bottom right) and input this:

G53
G0 X172.5 Y178.5 F3000
G54
G92 X0 Y0

Save this as a “center origin” macro, or whatever you want. (For the 1.6W input the X/Y machine coords you got before, this is for the 10W). What this does, is put movement into machine coords (G53), move to the center of the platform (G0 etc), changes back to work coord mode (G54), then sets that as 0,0 (G92 etc).

You can also forgo all this together and simply use the work coordinate system like I do. Makes for a very streamlined “hands off” approach. The only time I physically go to the machine is to load the material. You just need to make it flush with the left side of the bed, and offset the front by what you found in the tests for Y. It’s a bit annoying with the testing and tuning to get the origin exactly right, but once it is, makes projects a lot smoother and accurate. :slight_smile: