Z Axis wind down/droop

As my roll of filament is running out, i’ve started to have some failed prints. Really that’s a mounting problem with the location of the roll (fixing with a separate holder), but while working on cleaning up these prints (since i was not watching it and melted plastic got all crazy on the nozzle and bottom of the unit) I jogged the Z axis all the way to the top, then while heating up the nozzle with the “Change Filament” element, the Z axis appears to “wind down” so it is at the bottom of the axis, not where I left it. I’ve noticed this a few times now while working with the module.

Is this intentional? After doing a Change Filament, I tried to jog it back to the top and it moved once, but then not again. I had to turn the unit on and off to get it back. I would expect that if I put any of the rails in a spot that they would stay there until told otherwise. While it’s printing it’s perfect. I am going to re-level the bed after messing with the axis/nozzle and changing filaments, but i expect it will be fine for the next bunch of prints.

1 Like

Mine might be doing something similar. After swapping the print module back on (swapped to laser for a bit), the Z axis is having trouble jogging down. I can move it up but then not back down. When I power off the machine, the Z axis slowly and quietly winds down to the base plate. I was able print previously, though, before updating to the 2.2 firmware.

1 Like