Why is iMakr (UK branch) such a rude company!

Doug
Thank you so much for your effort!
So lucky to have you as our user!

Have a good day!
Phoebe

2 Likes

Hi Phoebe;
I have applied to join the Facebook group for Snapmaker Original. By the end of next week I will no doubt have at least a thousand new questions.

Kind regards,
Stay safe!
Jeff

3 Likes

Jeff

You are now officially addicted, friends and family will see little of you now 
you have entered the Snapmaker Zone.

Fun is your new mantra

Doug :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

remember I am your guardian angel Guardian Angel

and I support and believe in your great products
 and look forward to the years ahead with new models

Doug

1 Like

:laughing:
Welcome to our lovely community!
We will always be there for you whenever you have any questions.

Best regards,
keep healthy!
Phoebe

1 Like

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
No word can express my/our gratitude. We can only work hard to make us deserve your support and love.

Have a good day!
Phoebe

1 Like

From Staff and other Snapmaker users
 this is a collegiate fraternity and we are all learning and improving

Doug

Hi Doug;
Yep, that must sure be true
 my additional 1600mW laser cutting module arrived today and although I could not connect it to anything just yet, I shouted WooHoo! :grin: :grin

Stay safe!
Jeff

1 Like

Thank you for your warm welcome Phoebe.
First question: Does the enclosure for Snapmaker original protect the user against the laser light?

Kind regards,
Stay Safe!
Jeff

2 Likes

I have an enclosure on my SM1 and the laser protection is good; remember to wear your laser safety glasses if you open the enclosure door during operation.

Yes the enclosure for the Snapmaker Original does have laser filtering ability. And wear your laser safety glasses when opening the enclosure side panel!

2 Likes

Thanks for the excellent news, Doug. The enclosure I understand is v1.1 and I also know that My SM1 is going to be delivered tomorrow. :joy: :joy: :joy: I have been looking at getting photos into Snapmaker Luban and that seems to be quite straightforward.

I had a bit more difficulty with getting files into Luban. I would load up .svg files and then find them all blurred. I had not realised that they only become clear when they are processed. I have managed to find some .ai and .eps vector files and converted them to .svg files so that Snapmaker can process them into.nc files for the laser cutter and .cnc files for the CNC head.

I am using another piece of software to view the .nc and .cnc files. It is named CAMotics and it lets me run the program to see where, if any, there may be issues with the file. My .ai (Adobe Illustrator files) and .eps (encapsulated postscript files) are converted in a vector design software by known as Affinity Designer (Serif Software) which is relatively cheap and can be considered as a direct competitor to Illustrator. It can convert and export any vector design into a number of formats. These are: .png, .jpg, .gif, .tif, .psd, .pdf, .svg, .eps, .exr, .hdr and .tga.

I have been playing with converting some Guilloché designs for use with SM1 to see how they will carve or burn. These are the sort of designs that are engraved into printing plates for banknotes to make forgery much more difficult. I look forward to getting set up tomorrow. :crazy_face:

The samples at the link below give you some idea. I am not attempting anything quite that complex but you can see that it would be a great test of the machine capabilities. The link shows as broken but it is working when I click on it.

2 Likes

Note: everyone experiences issues with .svg formatted files and that is because .svg has many variances
AND NOT STANDARD

1 Like

There are video tutorials to help you get started. Two frequently asked questions are focusing the laser and setting the laser power, which you need to learn just by playing with the machine.

2 Likes

Understood. It was a relief to be able to get some files into the Luban software.

Thank you for the information JKC20. I have watched the presentation several times now. I should be able to cope with getting started once my machine is assembled. It arrived so I am happy. :grinning:

3 Likes

I am inspired to see that by lodging a complaint here you were able to get your Snapmaker. I placed an order on May 7th directly on the Snapmaker website for the Snapmaker 3d plus the upgraded laser among other items. I’ve been doing the “dance” trying to contact support to see why they never ship my order. Last week I actually received an email with a FedEx tracking number saying “your order has shipped” but alas, they only created a label and never tendered any package with Fedex (you can see this in the tracking details". I also would like my money back at this point. It’s been almost 2 weeks and all that I have is a fake tracking number.

1 Like

@tonymontana have you emailed support@snapmaker.com ? ( i am cc’ing this to Phoebe @hyeii)

Yes, I’ve been emailing with support over the past week and Phoebe as well. Phoebe said my printer would be shipped out a couple of days ago and that hasn’t happened. I wouldn’t have posted here unless I felt it was a last resort.
I appreciate the info.

Hi Tony. At this end we can only see what is visible and we have to guess the rest. I think communication has been problematic and I was not getting sense out of many attempts at communication. In the end, I received a very full apology with the writer taking all of the blame for the non-communication. Despite that, not everything is an instant fix. I knew that my shipment was not in country for another ten or so days and shooting the messenger under that circumstance was not going to help the situation.

I decided to wait on the basis of a promised delivery and my machine was delivered on the day it was promised. The situation you describe may have more to do with the courier not collecting the item when they were supposed to. I had an item sent to me from another country and never saw it for about 5 weeks after it arrived in country. All manner of excuses were tendered and none of them were true. e.g. Delivery attempted but resident told us to return another day when it was more convenient. The delivery service never asked me nor did they attempt any deliveries. In the end, it was my insistence that someone was not doing the work for which they were taking a salary.

You may never find out what actually happened but I believe that the company intentions are good. I was impressed with the fit and finish of my printer and also the enclosure. It is not quite the end of the story though. My printer is not working because I suspect it is brain dead
 the controlling circuitry does not recognise my computer or a file on the USB stick. It is an electrical and a mechanical item and these two characteristics mean that the intended activities may fail, unannounced, at any point in time.

I could get cross but it is just one more hoop on the way to owning what I think (from the build quality) is a rare machine that has almost been over-engineered to perform well. I left an e-mail message with the supplier and they are passing it to one of their best engineers to deal with my issues. All of this is of course hampered by lockdowns and quarantine conditions. I purchased the enclosure through a different supplier and had to open a ticket with them too. It turns out that there are two M4 spacers that fit between the door interlock and the frame and without these I could not fit the interlock. Once again, the build quality and design is superb and I look forward to having everything up and running.

Finally, Phoebe is a senior staff member and I would wait until you hear what she has to say. I was all hot to trot and ready to cancel my order but after Phoebe’s intervention, I was mollified and willing to place my trust in the company’s products and agency. My question would be to you, what do you gain by not having instant satisfaction? You get your cash back and possibly have to use a machine that does not offer the same facilities as Snapmaker original. Who among us has never done anything that was unhelpful for someone? If you can, give the company a chance to explain what has happened. You will enjoy the macchine if you can wait.