What can be wrong?

What can be wrong when small details like ears on pikachu, printed wierdly, because it moves quickly and don’t have time to solidify and makes defects. What setting can help me?

I can think of two things that might be happening.

I’ve had some issues with my v1 when the print area is very small, the piece does not cool enough between layers. It’s something that kind of builds up as successive layers say warmer than they should, so it’s kind of hard to pin point.

The v2 is designed to have better cooling capacity than the v1. The v1 had a single fan to the left of the nozzle. When printing small pieces, it was noticeable that the left side had better print quality than the right side. Several people have made fan nozzle adapters on Thingiverse for the v1, but I usually just blow on the part while it’s printing to help it cool off. It only affects layers that are very small, so the print is small, or the time it needs extra cooling is short. Alternatively, you could try printing 2 at the same time. The extra travel time would give the previous layers time to cool.

My other idea is that the piece was knocked loose from the print bed, but didn’t entirely detach. They appear to have a pretty small first layer relative to the height. Was the piece very easy to remove from the print bed when it was done? If it was partly detached, the print head might have pushed it around a bit while it was moving. I’d add a brim, maybe 20 lines. That’ll also make it a lot more obvious if the piece becomes partially detached.

To me, the piece in front looks more like a temperature problem (the horizontal ear printed fine, but the vertical ear looks kind of melted), and the piece in back looks more like a detachment problem (the ear looks like it’s missing material rather than melty).

1 Like

Hey, thank you for you reply, in both cases I was looking at the figures while the were finishing printing, and I they were not moved in both cases at the end the material didn’t have enought time to cool and started to wobble, so I think it is temperature problem, what can I do to fix it? I have Snapmaker 2 A250

You could add a cooling tower to your print that has the same height as your print and is somwhere away from your actual print. the travel between the tower and your print will give each layer some extra time to cool down. By increasing or decreasing the distance you can modify the cooling time.

1 Like

In Cura you can set a minimum layer time, this will slow the printer down on layers that are printed quickly to give more time to cool. You can have the printer slow down to a minimum set speed and/or wait away from the printed piece until the minimum layer time has completed.

I think minimum layertime would not help because of so little space and detail.

Look at this:

1 Like

I have two questions:

1. If you lower the printing speed, will it be better?
  2. If you print a larger model, will the issue still exist?
  1. to and extent, yes. Generally there is a threshold under which you wont see any real quality gains. I print at around 40mm/s on walls and notice no difference printing any slower, whereas when I print on my fast setting of 60mm/s I do notice some variability in walls.

2. When printing a larger model, or more small models your time taken to print a single layer increases thus giving the filament a longer time to cool between layers. This should improve your results but it wont eliminate warping completely if you are trying to print very ambitious overhangs without support structure.

1 Like

Thank you @C.Harris

• First, I think you need to lower the working speed of the smaller model. Like 40 mm/s to 50 mm/s
  • Second, as for the overhanging part like the ears, the support structure is needed.