Using the Laser module

I don’t have my A350 just yet so I can’t experiment.
I am planning to make a very complex working model (over 100 printed parts) and one part is presenting a problem to plan for.

It’s the control box, by itself very straight forward. Mounted on it are 5 switch controls.
What I need are some sort of labelling for each and so far I have only 3 ways to do it.

Control Panel 1

1-Transfer letters but I can’t get some of the symbols I need. Also alignment presents a problem.

2-Laser print directly on the PLA surface. The surface will be levelled but can I Laser print/etch on PLA? That way I can make any symbol I need.

3-Laser cut on aluminum “duct tape” the letters and symbols I need. In effect, make my own transfer letters, but again, alignment.

My preference would be to Laser print directly, or is there an alternative I don’t know of?

Thanks;
jgb

I’ve never tried using the laser directly on PLA. It definitely would have some affect but not sure the quality you’re looking for. It would be easy enough to print out a small section and test it.
The other ways I can see to do it would to be to just 3d print the lettering as part of your model (either recessed or raised). You could either paint the lettering or if it’s raised possibly even do a filament change and print the lettering that way.
You could also paint the surface of the PLA and then use the laser to remove the paint for the lettering.

Lastly if you wanted to use some type of transfer tape (make sure it’s not pvc or vinyl!!! Bad fumes if you laser!!!) You could do it on a whole sheet and then can either use tabs or have your power settings so it doesn’t cut through the backing paper, so that everything stays aligned until you pull off the backing. Use an exacto knife to slice the tabs after it’s applied.
-S

2 Likes

Other options: Sticky vinyl and a vinyl cutter, if you have access to one (don’t use the laser!). Or paint the labels directly, either freehand or with a stencil (the stencil could potentially be laser-cut, depending on material).

Thanks sdj544 for the ideas. Except for paint then laser ablate, I considered each.
I can’t change filament color as the surface is curved between the “power” set and switch set of characters below it.

But you gave me an idea!!!

I could print a thin raft of black PLA then print the letters and symbols in a thin white PLA on top, then glue the print(s) to the cover.

Guess I just have to wait to get my A350 (maybe Sept/Oct time frame) and try stuff.

ElloryJaye, thanks for that. I can buy stick on letters or laser cut sticky label sheets (paper). I’ll have to try that approach as well.

For your information…
This photo shows a laser mark made on a PLA molded material using the standard Snapmaker 1.0 Original laser a long time ago.

I use a laser to mark the letters, then pour in colored resin and cure it with UV LEDs.

I think this is close to what you want.

4 Likes

Thanks; That is exactly what I was looking for. Anything special I should know or is it pretty well straight forward?

I think the color of the material is the key to putting laser markings on Pla resin.
Also, the melted smoke from the laser may be harmful.
I don’t mind because I have a large ducted fan connected…
Hope this helps…

1 Like

Thanks. I guess I’ll have to wait and see for myself.