USB-C extension cable for touchscreen

Hi all,

has anyone of you already succesfully used a USB-C extension cable for the touchscreen?
Currently I’m working on my enclosure where a extension cable for the touchscreen would be great. @JKC20 stated that it actually should work but it hasn’t been extensively tested AFAIK.
I already got a extension cable but can’t get it working. The first time I plugged it in the touchscreen didn’t even power on. The second time I tried it did power on but wasn’t able to connect to the controller, it stated that the machine is not responding. Without the extension cable everything works fine.
When I use the extension cable for example to extend the cable to load my phone it works as expected so the cable should actually be okay.
This is the cable i got: USB-C extension cable
At the moment I don’t see if or at which point I made a mistake… :thinking:

I use a extensioncable for months without having problems. :laughing:

Hmmm, that’s interesting…
I suppose you don’t use any special kind of cable?
How long is yours? Maybe 1m isalready too long… :thinking:
I guess I just have to try different cables… :man_shrugging:

Its about 1,5m long and nothing special bought it at electronicmartket.
Perhaps yours is only for charging and not for data only a posibilty.

3 Likes

Standard 1.5ft (.5 meter) usb-c off of Amazon. I’d share the link but it’s not there anymore.

-S

1 Like

Thanks for your replies. That is actually proof that it should be working and me having bad luck in choosing a proper extension cable… :sweat_smile:
So I will look for another cable… :thinking:

Just wanted to give you a short follow up: got another extension cable which is (finally) working. Took a closer look at the male terminals. I think the length of the terminal might be the reason for the first cable not working properly. The terminal of the touchscreen has a length of 7.8mm, the extension cable which isn’t working has a terminal length of only 6.9mm so almost one mm shorter. I also noticed that it only loosely fits into the controller so maybe there isn’t a proper connection. The length of the terminal of the working cable is almost 7.9mm so even a little bit longer than the original connector.
But that’s only a guess. For the moment I’m just happy to finally having a working extension cable! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hey do you remember what cable you found that worked? I have bought three off of amazon and none of them have worked for me some far.

This is the one I got but unfortunately looks like it’s not available:

-S

Hello my

solution cut the sleeve a bit

away from the new connector and it works perfectly 7.9mm long

Verzonden vanuit Mail voor Windows

|

designsbywilliam
September 19

|

• | - |

Hey do you remember what cable you found that worked? I have bought three off of amazon and none of them have worked for me some far.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Sorry wrong cabel

Good cabel !!

Hello my

solution cut the sleeve a bit

away from the new connector and it works perfectly 7.9mm long

NIMASO USB C-verlengkabel 1M, type C male naar vrouwelijke Thunderbolt 3 oplaadkabel USB 3.1 Gen2, 10 Gbps / 4K video / audio-verlengsnoer voor Samsung Galaxy S20 Note20 iPad Pro

The reason for this is because the usb-c connector is not standard, it’s a customized one for Snapmaker, with custom pcb. The connector is longer than a standard usb-c, which is why a lot of the extension cables don’t work, they can’t reach far enough into the port on the controller to get a good enough connection to work.

@sdj544 they had a 3ft one so ordered that and another random cable. Fingers crossed it works.

@Artezio / @Barracuda i tried cutting the sleeve on one of the cables already as seen written in another thread but didn’t work for me. Still turns on but stops after connection after S logo. That’s why I jumped on this thread to see if their is a cable that works vs keep buying / trying to cut cables. @Snapmaker-Support should make an extension cable or at minimum an adapter that can plug into it so we can use a standard usb c cable.

NIMASO USB C-verlengkabel 1M, type C male naar vrouwelijke Thunderbolt 3 oplaadkabel USB 3.1 Gen2, 10 Gbps / 4K video / audio-verlengsnoer voor Samsung Galaxy S20 Note20 iPad Pro MacBook Pro, Switch, Dell

Thanks for the recommendation but I can only find the male to male version of that cable on amazon in US unfortunately. Found one version from a random site that had it but they want like $35. I’ll let everyone know how the two cables I have coming in this week goes too.

5BF707AAC63148D09C937D39C9C48741.jpg

NIMASO USB C-verlengkabel 1M, type C male naar vrouwelijke Thunderbolt 3 oplaadkabel USB 3.1 Gen2, 10 Gbps / 4K video / audio-verlengsnoer voor Samsung Galaxy S20 Note20 iPad Pro MacBook Pro, Switch, Dell

4.4 van de 5 sterren 602

€ 12,13€12.13

Haal het morgen, 21 sep

GRATIS Levering bij bestellingen van meer dan € 20 verzonden door Amazon

I believe hearing from someone on FB that if the cable is listed as working with a Nintendo Switch then it should work fine with the SM.
Looks like all of the one’s being suggested here list that.
If anyone has bought one that says this and doesn’t work, please let us know.

=S

3.1 Gen 2 - 10gbps seems to be the key factor
its amazing how many 3.1 cables don’t support full gen 2 feature set :frowning:

If you don’t mind expounding, why do you think 3.1 Gen 2 10gbps is the key factor?

I thought the reason was the touchscreen and the Nintendo Switch have in common they are both non USB-C compliant. Cables listed for them will not be “active” cables with chips in the ends which in this case breaks the touchscreen’s (non-USB) serial connection to the controller.