Updates on Ultembase for Snapmaker

Hi all,
Today the review video for Ultembase by Maker’s Muse dropped! He liked the automatic release feature and the ABS prints but encountered issues with PETG. We didn’t see this kind of result in our own testing, and we had upgraded our design since he received our sample prototype. We’ll iron out more issues before we release the print surface.
We planned to release sizes tailored to all Snapmaker 2 machines, and hope to contribute some improvements to the performance of this great machine. And I had asked my friend to include a special signet on all Snapmaker 2 surfaces, in order to remember a great friend we lost in the community, Stefix. He designed a leveling tool for glass beds and designed many upgrades to the machine.
Have a nice day everyone and I’ll let you know when Ultembase for Snapmaker 2 is available.

1 Like

Great to actually see an update and an external party making something adapted for the SM devices.

But am I incorrect to assume it’s not really that much of a benefit? My summary of the movie:
positive:

• when printing ABS: great, releases automatically

neutral:

• PLA: not better than just plain glass (actually worse because heating is needed) which wasn’t needed for plain glass (i.e. the other side)
  • tpu: no difference vs plain glass
  • glas, so it’s flat
  • the texture can be cool looking if that’s your thing

bad:

• like with normal glass PETG sticks too well too it and it breaks.

So for ABS: great, PLA & TPU :like other glass, for PETG: bad.

Curious to see how it compares to the standard SM bed. I assume some of the people that were selected in the previous thread will still get their samples to test so we can hear their feedback too?

1 Like

If you are familiar with our current flagship (the gold flex-steel PEI sheet), our test results show that Ultembase has a better performance than it. PLA, TPU, and ABS all release automatically, and with great adhesion. Angus got a different test result on PETG from ours, when we test print PETG it went well without any problems. Not to mention he had an older version prototype, our newer version has a finer texture improved PEI layer. I am looking into what caused his sample to break and bond with PETG, it shouldn’t be that way. Advantage-wise, in short Ultembase, can print extremely high-temperature materials, auto-release prints, and great adhesion, on top of that a greater life span.

@ENERGETIC_3D

Hello!

Did mine get shipped yet? I haven’t seen it come in.

I was just thinking about reaching to you regarding it, and since you have videos review out, it sounds like maybe mine didn’t make it to me.

Please let me know when you see this, I have been eager to see this thing.

1 Like

Hey Moose!
Unfortunately, not yet. We got many orders in early April that our glass suppliers couldn’t keep up. Our sample for Devin from Make Anything shattered on the way, and we haven’t even got the time to make one for him yet. Since Angus’ video came out, we decided to ship an upgraded version of samples from now on, which begins within two weeks. I’ll let you know when that’s out! Below is the poor thing that didn’t make it on the way to Devin.

Ahh balls man, that sucks.

Well, OK at least i know it didnt get lost in the mail.

Thanks!