ABS base layer- Want to use PETG

All right smart people, I’m pretty sure this can be done, but have no idea how to execute. So I love and hate PETG and ABS. Love that PETG sticks like glue to my build plate, hate the stringing. Love the strength and and material properties of ABS, hate it’s build plate adhesion. So what I want to do is print the base layer in PETG and the rest of the model in ABS. Not only will I have better build plate adhesion, but I will be able to use the whole plate as opposed to just the inner zone. What is the easiest way to get this done?

PETG tends to not like to bond to other materials, so I suspect it wouldn’t work (e.g. it works well as a support material for PLA). What are your retraction settings in your slicer? PETG needs relatively large retraction distances and speeds.

Also, temperature can greatly impact stringing. Try printing a temperature tower and see at what temperature the quality maximizes. For the PETG I’m using now, I run it at 215ºC, which is lower than most recommendations, and my quality is outstanding.

Also, if your slicer has a setting for avoiding open spaces during moves, enable that. It will cause the stringing filament to end up mostly inside the object.