Unable to replace hot end

I have had a lot of problem with clogging lately. I store my filament in plastic with silica gel packets and in their original boxes. I recently added a filament cleaner above the toolhead as well to try to minimize any dust getting into the head. We have hot air heat so the house is very dry but a little dusty in the winter.

I took to cleaning after every print - removed the filament, cranked up the temp and used a cleaning wire. Always got sot some plastic out, but after a bit of work ended up with the wire going through the nozzle nice & easy. Still had a lot of issues. Didn’t matter what brand of filament I was using. Often I would see it was a bad print before the first layer was down. Also had problems sometimes with the print sticking really bad to the bed.

I decided to replace the hot end. I had purchased a few last year when I had a similar clogging problem. Removed the set screw and the old unit pulled out. Inserted the new one (went in nice and easy) and the set screw would not tighten, just spun in place. Tried to pull the new end out to reseat it and it is stuck. It will twist side to side a little but will not come out (there’s not much space for it to move, but it does). I have completely trashed the new head trying to get it loose - broken a wire and tore up the silicon shield. At this point I just want it out so I don’t have to buy a new toolhead. I have partially disassembled the head and still can not get it to come out. And now I’m not sure I can get everything lined up again to get the toolhead reassembled.

Anybody had a similar issue with head replacement? Not looking forward to replacing the entire toolhead but I’m out of ideas.

1 Like

Though I sadly cannot help you with getting the toolhead apart, I can at least point you in the diretion of why the clogging is happening, so you can avoid that from being a problem again in the future.

Thanks for this reference. When I finally get going again, I will keep this in mind and make some adjustments. Guess it’s on to CNC and laser for a while. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, the set screw design makes it really difficult to undo the nozzles… I have a 5mm on a little wrench… and I take the silicone sock off and use a needle nose pliers to hold the heat block while I do it.

It’s a real pain.