Trying to load G code program via USB drive - What file designation?

Long time machinist here, I use MasterCam to program machines at work so I’m not looking to learn other software. I have a G code program written and saved on a USB drive but when I plug in the USB drive, I only see folders, not the G code program I have created.
CNC machines ( not all ) use a .NC file designation but that doesn’t work on the Snapmaker. Neither does .TXT or .GCODE.

What file designation do I need for the machine to read the program?

I have watched many things but all come from the Snapmaker software and no one says what designation it is saved as.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

EDIT: I am milling if that matters.

The snapmaker uses
*.gcode for 3d printing
*.cnc for the cnc function
*.nc for laser jobs

They are all just the same type of gcode, but it uses the file extension to distinguish between the different type of tools to show only the relevant files in the UI of the screen.

I tried .gcode and it didn’t show on the screen. I assume the machine knows that the CNC head is plugged in and only shows .cnc programs?

I changed it to .cnc and it worked just fine.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

That’s exactly what happens indeed :slight_smile:

Do note that although the SM does execute standard gcode, it might need some specific tweaks if you generate the gcode with other software. There are some postprocessors available: GitHub - Snapmaker/snapmaker_cnc_post_process

Although I don’t see one for masterCam (read over that the first time)
So be careful when you’re executing your jobs to make sure everything works as expected. Also take into account the limitations of the machine (small machine, high spindle speed, don’t go too fast)

I would recommend to do a small test project in the air just to be sure it understands the specific gcode dialect.

Bit of learning curve here. I wrote a program to face a part. posted the g code and modified it to the snapmaker. I was lucky that it happened to work.

I did another toolpath and not so good but learned that the M3 P80 has to go in that order, cannot go P80 M3.

My first program happened to work because facing I had a G1 then G2 back to G1 alternating at each line. My new program didn’t do that so it didn’t run.

Now I know I need a G1, G2 or G3 on each line or it stops.

Working on a post processor to output that on each line of code. Since making it for the snapmaker, I’ll get rid of the tool numbers and work offsets and such un-needed code.

Bit of a pain but here we go.

Also, I understand high RPM and low torque machining. Dynamic milling should work well.

Thanks again for the help. I’ll keep you all posted on my progress as I go.

Not sure if I get you right - are you actually writing GCode from scratch? That’s a noble feat, but I’d recommend to use CAM software (Like MasterCAM you mentioned earlier). If Luban is too limited for your taste, try Fusion 360 - the free edition can do 3-axis machining quite well.

I’m using MasterCam to create my G code. I modified a basic mill to fit the SM code. ( removed tool change, coolant and other misc. codes )