Tips/pointers for dual extruder PVA support

Running into issue after issue of attempting to get the dual extruder to properly utilize PVA for supports. Prints are consistently failing, the PVA material is not stacking upon itself, but rather accumulating in pieces around the model. I have attempted different idle and print temps and ended up having to scrap a hot-end from this. Read through forums and attempted using PrusaSlicer to attempt a test. Very impressed with Prusa so far for regular printing, but not sure the settings to ramp up to 250 then down to target temp are working well with the PVA. Have a dry-box that is constantly running on my PVA to keep it extra special crispy dry. But still when running a test print, the PVA second layer did not stick to the first, but rather accumulated on the nozzle and thus grew tumors upon the actual model.

Really looking for some pointers on how to zero this in, again, have browsed through several topics on here and reddit and still not found a good “pva dual extruder for dummies” piece of education.

I love my dual extruder’s standard printing, super crisp and smooth. But my only goal at this point is for easy support removal and just need to figure out if anyone has successfully used PVA supports and what their setup and settings are. Is there a better calibration tool to use to make sure my XY offsets are correct? a better tool for z offsets (the prusaslicer test print kind of had the right extruder a little too friendly with the build plate if you ask me) Is there a really good test print to use to see if you have things dialed in correct with PVA? Doing the Snapmaker built in calibrations with PLA and PLA everything seems good, but PVA is failing consistently, so i’m thinking I just have terrible filament settings?

Hi Noishpa,
I’ve successfully used PVA - my settings you can find here: Tabletop miniature with 0.2 mm nozzle and PVA support (Dual Extruder)

My main learning is, that printing the whole support in PVA is not the best idea, since it does not print very precise and may deteriorate the quality of the non-support-parts. Using PVA just as an interface layer worked very well for me.

1 Like