Things that change with doing a firmware-update

Every time a firmwareupdate is run, any data changed by you as a user has been reset to factory settings.

I’ve ran M502 command just before the update and after, i saw changes in these items

M92, Axis and Extruder calibration : after recieving a new linear rail, i had to change the stepvalue for this rail from 400.0 to 400.7 to give accurate prints (tested this with a 150mm long print and measured with digital calipers to correct the value. also any change to the E-step will be reverted to the stock

M420 and it’s subsequent G29 values: this are the values of the grid calibration. they are all restored to the stock value and you should redo auto or calibration.

M900 linear advance: this value is set stock at 0.22 but is way high for the snapmaker. most people get the best results for this when set at around 0.08.

so please, after a software update, don’t just start printing again but check and enter the correct parameters again!

i have solved this by making a Macro that has all the values before updating in it. this can be run automatically after the update and should restore the old settings.

1 Like

It doesn’t always.
With the last couple of firmware updates it has.
Always good to check though.

-S

Thank you for sharing these information. I have forwarded this topic to our firmware developer @scotthuang . Some tests will be conducted this week to prove this topic at our end.

Could you please share your macros here and that would be much helpful to us.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
Edwin

I didn’t realize that the E values were reset on upgrade, which might explain why my prints started going badly recently. I re-calibrated, and then wrote the numbers on a sticker on the print head, so I can confirm on the next upgrade.

According to @scotthuang , the default settings may be overwirtten by updating a new version of the firmware.

Users can use M503 to record the previous settings and compare it with the new ones after update the firmware.

In the end, the developer team will find a way to fix this bug.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edwin

Hi jeroent, please share your macro. Thanks

i can’t seem to copy paste from the macro-screen so here is a screenshot of it.

some automated way of doing this, like a app on the touchscreen ot raise and lower these points could help a lot of users.

1 Like

joroent, thanks for sharing

2 Likes