The Snapmaker 2.0 Quick Swap Kit is now available at our Official Stores

Since the quick swap kit is available, when will I be getting mine? I preordered mine a while ago and it hasn’t turned up as yet. I feel those who had preordered them should get them first.

Did your order confirmation email have any dates in it?
Mine said ‘mid September’ under the quick swap kit in the summary, and it arrived about a week ago.
(this is in Aus, so I think they have a local distribution centre/warehouse and probably bulk shipped to that first, then sent them out)

Yes it did say mid October. But if it is available in June why the wait?

Because they shipped in batches, when I put my order, I selected late August - and I got it in the end of the August.

I received the shipping confirmation for Germany today. Early September Batch

You lucky sod :wink:

1 Like

I’m afraid I have to retract this. I bought a couple extension cables, one to use immediately on the heated bed and other for future changes. Well, turns out that the cables used for the heated bed (and power, and probably a few other things as well) are different from the toolhead cables - you have to look pretty closely at the socket to spot the difference. Pretty obvious why they did this (these are presumably delivering higher power than the standard CAN bus modules), but annoying to discover nonetheless. Why not use cables that can in no way be mistaken for CAN bus cables?

Ultimately makes no difference - not likely to use the 3D printing mode of this dog anymore.

Not sure what you mean… There are two types of sockets/plugs: 8-pin and 4-pin. Power and heated bed are 4-pin, toolheads and linear modules are 8-pin. The Rotary extension cable (which I think was made for the Artisan) is 8-pin and will not fit for the 4-pin cables.

Pretty simple: there’s no extension cable available for the heated bed. And like every other cable on this thing, it’s got proprietary ends. The suggestion I made to support was specifically for an extension cable for the heated bed, and it looks like that didn’t happen.

The quick-swap bed is another disappointment. When you do the linear rail mod, you need the corner M4 screw mounts on both the 3DP and the CNC bed. So when you get the quick swap bed with the inexplicable-missing corner M4 mounts, you either can’t use the linear rail mod, or you can’t use 3DP.

Every time I work with this thing, I get the strong urge to take it out back to the gun range and put it out of its misery.

That they decided to have proprietary plugs is annoying, I agree. I bought a few cables just for at some point cutting them up to use for self-made attachments (If I ever get around to that… so many projects…). Fortunately, the cables are not overpriced. Still, Only your post made me aware that there are only 8-pin cables out in the wild…

Regarding the Quick Swap “reduced” frame: What about transferring four of the threads from your existing bed to the new one? They are easily unscrewed and re-screwed in the other bed, and IMHO the number of screws is ridiculous anyhow…

Yeah that is why I bought the toolhead cables as well. I kinda assumed that the heated bed would use the same cable, and it don’t, and that rather bites as they don’t provide an extension for the heated bed cable. What they should do, or should have done back when they redid the platform, is change the heated bed to have a plug instead of a hard-wired connection, and then provide a cable to connect it to the controller. Doing it the smart way (which they wouldn’t have), with a male plug on the heated bed, the cables could be chained, allowing routing under the bed or around the rear of the Y-axes. There were enough reports of snagged or damaged bed cables within the first year that the need for this rather simple change became obvious.

I moved four corner mount-bushings from the the Gen1 platform to the Gen2 platform, in order to use the Gen2 for 3D printing. I then realized I needed four corner screws on the Gen1 CNC platfrom to attach the linear rail mounts, and moved four mount-bushings from the middle ring of CNC mounts to the corners of the Gen1 platform. Then, while re-doing the quickswap mounts to work with a) the Gen1 platform, and b) my overkill non-SBR16 liner rails, I realized I didn’t need the four corner screws on the Gen1 platform as the quickswap version relies on registration rather than bolting, so I might remove those. Hey, it’s all about the journey.

Took FAR longer than five minutes to move those four mount-bushings, though. Not only did I have to debur the holes on the new platform just to get the threads started, my blue locktite was in the shop which is like a five minute walk from the house :slight_smile:

1 Like