The One Thing I HATE About Snapmaker

…is the Change Filament process.

I dance around this 3D Printer because it’s VERY well made. It was easy to put together, prints come out beautiful, I’ve run it overnight and during work hours, I got it two weeks ago and definitely already put in over 50 hours of printing.

But I HATE the Change Filament process. I feel like I’m back in high school and I’m on the couch with my prom date. It’s so fucking AGGRAVATING!!! FIX IT!

I will gladly buy 3D Printing Module Version 2.0 if it means a quick and easy Change Filament process (without trying to line up the stars) and I can throw the old one at an ugly baby. It’s infuriating.

2 Likes

Agreed. (Only without the expletives ::wink: )

What is needed is a simple lever to turn. The spring force IS needed to provide enough traction to the drive gear/wheel but relieving that force with a push button is too much. A simple lever that would turn about 90 degrees would be sweet and GREATLY easier to operate. I might just have to take mine apart and design one.

The other thing that is needed is a better path for the filament to be guided thru. This would also help with feeding TPU type filaments thru.

The way it is now the filament needs to be as straight as possible for abouit 3 inches (~75mm) and you have to be ever so careful to feed it into the print head straight. Even then sometimes it gets diverted from the path it should take.

1 Like

I actually hate two things: the filament change operation and the module change operation. The latter is made even worse by the add-on enclosure.

1 Like

Funniest thing I’ve read in ages!

I do agree, changing filament is quite annoying at times. A better method could be used in which the printer activates the motor. I’m unsure of the internals, but this may work? I’ve seen other printers do the same thing.

Dunno, it’s just a thought :slight_smile:

Of my aggravation, the button press is maybe 20% of my issue. It definitely ruins the “change filament mid print” trick. Definitely shifted Z and X a few times unnecessarily.

Most of my aggravation comes from the length of straightness that is required from an object that is naturally curved on a roll.

I forgot what the tubing is called, but there is some special tubing that you can buy to plug into the 3D printer which will guide the filament in correctly. I’ll try to find the name of it.

Aaand I found it. Teflon tubing! You can get some for like a dollar or so. It’s not very expensive. Another user recommended it in a very old post.

If you try it, let me know if it works :smiley:

-Greg