Snapmaker Status App

Hello.

I’ve made and published an android app for checking the status of my Snapmaker 2.0 while it’s running. If anyone else thinks this would be useful, I’ve published it for free here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_eddiehartman11.SnapmakerStatus

If you have any feedback or feature suggestions, put it here:
https://gitlab.com/Eddie-Hartman/snapmaker-status/-/issues
leave a review, or just email snapmakerstatus@eltonhartman.com

If app inventor updates to allow IOS building, I can publish an IOS version faster, but I plan on rewriting it from scratch in .net with xamarin.

All you have to do to use the app is enter the ip address of your Snapmaker, then press get status, then allow the connection on your machine just like Luban. Saving is just to save the ip address for after you’ve closed the app.

I hope you find it useful!

7 Likes

@EddieHartman awesome job! I look forward to the iOS version. I’m not so well versed in iOS development, I thought about attempting something like this but never made an iOS app before lol. It’s simplicity is what I think is going to make it appealing. Maybe over time add features like camera monitoring, that would be cool to have a view from a camera then all the status information right above or below the visual feed.

1 Like

Very cool. Thanks a bunch!

You can open your camera app and have it situated near the Luban window… that’s what I do. :slight_smile:

@lgauthier2k True, but I don’t use Luban other than to use direct console commands. That also eliminates the possibility of remote monitoring as Luban is not on mobile, so phone is nixed. Right now I use a Logitech baby monitor that was lying around that has WiFi, can pan and tilt, read ambient room temperature, has night vision (really cool to watch with the enclosure and room lights off), has its own tablet but can also connect to your network so you can control it with your phone. Snapmaker starts to misbehave and I can push to talk to it, and if it’s particularly fussy I can play it lullabies lmao. I was just thinking how nice it would be to have an embedded window for the camera controls and view right above or below all the status information of the machine.

For sure! That’s the redneck solution lol I’d like to figure out a way to process the status data with an arduino using an esp chip so I can have a red/yellow/green led stack light which could be battery powered and portable. That’ll be a project for this winter.

@lgauthier2k Thought about doing an arduino wireless camera, I had also pondered putting my Intel RealSense D455 in that role, then I found the Logitech lying around lol. I prefer arduino over rpi tbh.

I’d love to see a ios app for that. It would be really cool to see it pull a video feed from my octopi… sometimes I prefer to use the snapmaker interface (for filament runout, power off); but I’d love to look at my octopi feed. If you had a window for camera load with the ability to type in the ip address… that would be epic.

I use my cam at the printer with an Homebridge, so the Video is transfered to Iphone and Watch via Homekit.
For IOS and Octopi i used Octopod which can control the printer and brings the status into an widget and the watch.

But it would be very nice if i can use the very nice display at the snapmaker and get the Status of any print (and maybe a bit of controlling :wink: ) at my IOs-device

1 Like

For any of you still following this thread, snapmaker updated their firmware and what data it sends back in status requests. The app automatically handles this.

The good news is that you can now see things like time remaining in seconds and some additional useful data in the app without an app update.

Unfortunately, it seems like the firmware has also caused a weird behavior where if you connect while a print is running to check the status then disconnect, the snapmaker seems to think that it was running the print from the Luban application instead of from the machine itself and says it disconnected from Luban and to confirm to stop the current “engraving”. I’m opening a github issue about this to see if this change can be reverted. Me connecting and disconnecting from Luban shouldn’t prompt to stop an in-progress print running from the machine anyway, so this is probably a bug on their end.

In terms on the app, as long as you don’t confirm on the touchscreen the print will continue to run fine.

Github issue posted: Breaking Change For Monitoring Prints · Issue #199 · Snapmaker/Snapmaker2-Controller · GitHub

1 Like

@Snapmaker-Support
Can you please help with this issue?

This was a breaking change in the latest firmware update.
It doesn’t seem to be getting enough attention. I understand if it takes some time to fix, but there has been no communication whatsoever thus far.

Hey Eddie, you will have to make a support request or send a email to support@snapmaker.com
unfortunately there is no other way i know…

I am no coder but maybe @brent113 knows from which end of the firmware the issue comes?

Btw, what firmware did work and which no more @EddieHartman?

Not the controller but the touchscreen. They changed the behavior and only they can fix. It’s incredibly annoying as it’s the same thing that causes people disconnecting wifi from stopping a local print for no reason. The touchscreen now just assumes that it’s getting streamed gcode from Luban over wifi even when it’s not.

1 Like

Exactly. That’s what I’m trying to get some attention to here. I’ve submitted a support request and been politely trying to nudge and it doesn’t seem to be going very far.

@xchrisd
It worked in one or two firmware versions before the one I listed in the ticket as I stay pretty up to date.

Between that and their latest decision to disable the 10W laser anytime a USB command moves the toolhead “because safety” the steering committee (or lack thereof) is making some interesting decisions with the firmware. Completely breaks 3rd party software that controls the machine via USB.

As I mentioned in the github issue, it would be great if they could open source the HMI stuff so we could at least help if something like this happens or we can fork if we disagree with something that strongly, but right now we’re kind of stuck.

Guarantee they never will as that would give the competitors who are already making replicas an even greater advantage. The only reason they released the Marlin source is because they are required to as part of using Marlin to start with - and even that took over a year of constant reminding from launch until they actually released it.

Personally I think the whole system has more functionality running it without the touchscreen even plugged in - that way it actually operates in a deterministic manner. The touchscreen’s choices of workspaces and offsets is chaos. Running an octoprint or some other RPi on USB as a wifi bridge is really the best option imo. And at least then it’s trivial to just stop the HMI task in the firmware that keeps trying to override Marlin behavior with chaotic behavior - like turning off the laser when the USB commands motion (not entirely HMI task-based, but similar idea).

Yeah I know what you’re saying.
I just see a lot of potential if we were to somehow meet in the middle. It’s such a shame.

I really want this fixed so I can re-make my app with notifications and the ability to monitor multiple machines at once and make it cross platform for Android and IOS.

I just don’t want to invest the time doing that if they broke the one I already made for over a month with nothing for me to do to fix it on my end.

Yea, that’s kinda how I feel about the laser inline power PR I submitted, only for the touchscreen to turn around and immediately break it on the 10W laser in the name of safety :roll_eyes:.

@Alan, could you have a look what happens, please?