Snapmaker Original problem with Luban

Hi guys,
I’ve just bought a Snapmaker Orignal so I’m really new on this great forum…
I’ve started usign Snapmakerjs SW because it is the suggested in the download section of the Orignal.
Yesterday I’ve installed the Luban SW and I saw the also the Original is there so I’ve tried to use ti but the first problem I had was the enclosure door open feature: I wasn’t able to turn if off! I can change the option in the SW but I can’t save the settings.
Also… I’ve tried to disable the feature because it seems to me that it is not working fine: I’ve selected the 5% power but opening and closing the door is not working fine becuase the laser remains off also when I close the door.

My question is: the new Luban SW does support officially the Orignal model?
Which SW should I prefer considering that I have the Orignal model?
Is there a comparison sheet to understand what Luban has more or better than Snapmakerjs for the Orignal machine?

Thanks!

Hey, Snapmakerjs should be fully integrated into luban (or luban into snapmakerjs?), however the new name is Snapmaker Luban.

March Update Snapmaker

March 2020 Update
Revamped Snapmaker Luban

Snapmaker3D, the first software we ever made, was our first step to tackle the 3D printing software market. It had fundamental features like slicing models and exporting G-code files. The software itself was pretty bare-boned but served as the foundation of its successor, the Snapmakerjs. Snapmakerjs was a software we pushed out the same year as the Snapmaker3D. In fact, they coexisted for some time before the Snapmaker3D was integrated into the Snapmakerjs. The Snapmakerjs replaced the older software and increased the number of supported platforms. The changes were transformative in that now with Snapmakerjs, users were able to 3D print, laser engrave/cut, and CNC carve within one application. That was the goal and philosophy of our software design. The Snapmakerjs’ usability made it the go-to software to use with the Snapmaker Original for over 2 years.

But that is not the end of the story, Snapmakerjs is now rebranded as the Snapmaker Luban. The Luban symbolizes a new start for us and it is more polished than ever. It is truly a 3-in-1 powerhouse with the following improvements and features added from years of iterations.

It should be fully integrated and compatible to the original yet.- There are some bugs but the main features work, i think.

Have you connected with usb to your machine?- chosen the right port so you could communicate with it?- Send it a home command in the console (G28) to see if it works. Then set your doordetection on in the preferences. I have no new enclosure.

btw there are several posts in the forum. May this helps:

Forum-links

Enclosure V1.1 Upgrade Kit questions
Not able to activate the door detection

Yes I’ve connected everything well but it seems something is not workng fine with the door open feature so I switch back to Snapmakerjs to be sure.
Maybe I should wait for some new version…

What make me thinking was that on the download link of the Orignal is still pointing to the Snapmakerjs sw

What issues are you having with Snapmaker Luban regarding the Door Detection feature?

The first problem I had was that I opened the enclosure door to set the starting point of the laser because with the door closed I can’t see the point I want to use as starting point:
I used the provided glasses and the power was 5% but opening and closing the door was not working well… sorry don’t remember well but I decided to disable the feature and I got the second problem.

The second issue was that I can’t disable the feature!
I went to the settings, changed the door detection from on to off but the Save Settings button dodn’t save/apply the settings. The door detection was still ON.
I’ve tried to reboot the Snapmaker and also the Luban but didn’t fix the issue.

What would be the expected behavior of the door opening feature? I can’t find a good description of the feature when using very low power (5%?) to set the origin for example.

How can we set the origin for the laser with the door closed?

Minor: if I’m not wrong if we set the Original on Luban, the 3D printing parameters are different from the ones used in Snapmakerjs (filament temperature…). Why?
I decided to switch back to Snapmakerjs for the moment…

The Door Detection feature only works with USB flash drives. If you laser engrave via Wi-Fi, it won’t work. It’s also supposed by work when the machine is in the laser engraving process, it would stop when you open a side panel and resume when you close it. The feature shouldn’t activate when you are focusing the laser.

For now you can also disable the feature by simply unplugging the switch cable. I will forward the issue you are having to our team as well. It is hard to set the laser origin especially when you are using small power, it is better to focus the laser without the side panels being closed.

Did you check the Machine Settings under Settings to see if you have selected the machine type to Snapmaker Original? You can also disable the Door Detection feature there.

I don’t have WiFi feature since I’ve got Snapmaker Original machine

1 Like